Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: changing tent thoughts?

changing tent thoughts?

Hi All,
    Now that I am safe in my office and the jobo tank cannot stalk me I decided I need to look into some changing tents.

This will be for 810 film/holders.

Harrison is the obvious choice but it a fair bit of money. Any thoughts on this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3S-KangRinpo...item2eb7fe38cd

Any other decent options?

thanks
    david

Re: changing tent thoughts?

$200 for a harrison knock-off with shipping. How much are you going to save? What are you paying per exposure of 8x10? What'd you pay for that jobo drum that almost took your head off? How about the guy who started the "I wanna sue the company who made my changing bag" thread?
    Get the harrison. I've had mine for 15 years. I use the medium for 4x5 and 8x10. You don't need to pull the darkslide all the way out to load holders.

I have a Panavision changing bag. It is so stiff it acts like a tent (It'll stand up without supports) and so huge I can almost, but not quite change 12x20 film holders in it. I think it cost $30 used but they are rare. I don't know if they are available new and how much they'd cost today but IMHO definately worth check out
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi , I have a harrison medium , Can't remember what i paid for it i just know it works perfectly everytime i use it , Worth every penny !! IMHO . Cheers Gary

I've got the Harrison middle size. You may want the larger for 8x10 with room and comfort but you'll need to set it up on a motel bed due to it's footprint. I do that even with my medium. As has been pointed out, what with cost plus shipping, are you really saving any money and on top of it they clearly advertise no returns. Harrison stands solidly behind their tents.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Harrison is the way to go. Even so, when traveling I prefer a windowless bathroom and some black duct tape.

Be careful about purchasing a Harrison tent used. I bought one on EBay for a "reasonable" price and found that the outside surface of the interior tent was tacky. In other words, its synthetic surface had deteriorated.

Perhaps it had been left in the heat or something. But after inquiring on the forum, I learned that others have had the same problem.

With that said, I think that this tent is still light tight, etc. So, it's usable. But . . .

I have used this for 8x10 for a long time now and have no problems throwing a box of film and four holders in there to load. Sure, it is tight and you have to bend the film and not pull the dark slides out all the way. You have to constantly flip flop what is on top since you don't have room to put the film box on one side and the holders on the other. I personally find it is not a big deal. I have not scratched or damaged any film. And you can't beat the price. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/prod...ng_room/rm1000

I've used the Calumet Changing Room and you are a very nimble and patient man John... get the largest new Harrison and buy it once and forget about it.

Most of the sticky fabric reports stem from people having DEET or some other cosmetic/tanner/bug spray on their arms - it melts the coating.

I would only buy used Harrisons from someone you know and trust.

I've got one of these Chinese tents in the middle size and it is fine.