Recently the curator of one of the galleries I exhibit in asked to if I would be willing to print some 60+ year old negatives. The negatives were shot by a NY City photgrapher in the 1930's and 1940's. The negatives are owned by the daughter and she has asked to exhibit her father's work.

I agreed to make a number of prints as a favor to my gallery owner.

I received the negatives today and printed the first two. After making a straight print I noted the dodging and burning needed and made a couple of final prints of each negative.

I was totally blown away at the ease with which these negatives printed. The tonal range was amazing, the grain looked like small circular gains of sand and had high acutance and were as sharp as I have seen. "Kodak Safety Film" was written on the edges. Not in the meticulous method used today, but in a slightly blurred text that looks like it was burned into the film and showed a bit of flare.

No other mnarkings wereon the negatives. The density range of the negatives allowed me print with a No. 2.5 filter setting on my enlarger. These are simply amazing negatives. The prints have a translucent glow that usually takes me quite a bit of work to arrive at, but these negatives allowed me to obtain a final fine print after just a few sheets of paper.

Any old timers out there that can shed some insight into what this film might have been. To give you a better timeframe, one image was the first day opening game when the Dodgers came to Ebbets Field. It may have been 1938.

Mike