Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matting

Matting

I want to start cutting my own matts, with nice beveled and precise cuts. What do I need to do this? Thanks.
    Sergio

My website

Re: Matting

Matts and a matt cutter.

sergiob,

There are a couple of options: There are hand mat cutters that you use with a straight edge. These work, but are notoriously wobbly and take a lot of skill and practice (not that I have anything against either of these things!). For smaller mats, this may be a good avenue for you.

Larger mat cutters are framework contraptions with a built in straight edge and sliding blade holder. They are quite accurate and easy to use, but require some space. Larger models of these are rather expensive.

And, my preferred option: mark your board to the dimensions you want it cut, take it in to the local frame shop and shell out three or five dollars for them to computer cut a beveled window for you. I have an ongoing relationship with my local frame shop and they cut windows for me at $3 each in 11x14 and 16x20 board. Since I'm using cotton rag museum board, even a couple of wasted sheets due to mistakes would make my hand cutting them less than economical. Plus, I don't have to spent the time doing them myself :-)

Best,

Doremus

Try searching (this forum, Google, YouTube)...

Beveled Windows

... the truth is out there.

Hi Sergiob,

If you’re willing to try some “library” research, check out the web site at Logan Graphics – you can glance through a table of specs for their various matt cutters, compare them, download the pdf manual that might fit your needs, print it, and read through it. They have useful illustrations.

What you learn in the process can help you understand the art & science of matt cutting, whether or not you decide to purchase a matt cutter from any manufacturer.

Have fun, but remember, it’s addictive.

Logan products are the best place to start for DIY mat cutting.

You will either dry mount prints or use corners. I prefer dry mounting. For that you will also need a dry mount press (Seal), a tacking iron, release paper, and dry mount tissue.

You might check out a Light Impressions catalog for the pictures/information, but never buy from them. They used to be very good but now they are terrible and there have been many complaints. In fairness, a few months ago I received a partial shipment of an order I placed (and paid for) in early 2009...

I've seen (but not tried myself) neat mats cut with a mat knife and straight edge. For years I used a Dexter mat cutter. They are capable of neat mats, but there are a few tricks to using one that some instructions don't mention. A hand-held Logan cutter in a home-made jig worked better. Finally I decided to use a very few sizes of mats, and it became economical and practical to order precut mats in quantity from a company like Frame Destination.

It won't cost you that much for a matt cutter. Logan tends to be the best deal although if you are going to cut a lot of matts it would pay to get something better. The biggest mistake made in cutting matts is using a dull blade. Change it often. Blades are really cheap compared to the expense of matts. I had a friend who was a preparator and he never used a blade for more than one cut. That means four blades for a matt. That is a little extreme for normal sized matts, but I generally change the blade after every one or two.

By the way, I hate cutting matts. To speed up the process I keep blanks around that only have to be traced onto the matt to be cut. That simple action speeds things up considerably.

Robert Bowring

A lot of good suggestions. The secret to cutting good mats is: practice, practice, practice. A hand held cutter such as a Dexter and a good sturdy straight edge can be used to cut accurate mats but I think a mat cutter such as a Logan or Alto will give more consistent results in the long run. They are more expensive but will last a lifetime. If you plan on cutting a lot of mats they are the way to go. Practice on cheap board until you get it right. Archival mounting board is expensive and you don't want to waste it. Buy lots of extra blades and change them often. You will be amazed at how fast they get dull. It is not worth screwing up a mat by using a dull blade. Good Luck.

Measure three times and cut once!