Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: India

India

Hello hello!

My wife and I go to India for 3 weeks in January. I am in any case take the large format with me. Linhof Kardan Master L 13x18 )) I plan to buy a hard case for flight, and there walk with a backpack.
    Tell me, please, who was in India, what the local reaction to the large format, which will be tips, funny stories ... useful information...

Thanks!

Re: India

I've really only spent a little time (2 weeks) in the Khali Temple area in Calcutta and the people where so poor that I felt using them for photographic subjects would be demeaning to them.

However, that is one small neighborhood in India.

I think by and large there is great beauty there---both natural and architectural as well as the people. I would strongly suggest hiring a guide. If you wonder into an area like Khali Temple you'll be mobbed by curious onlookers and without a native guide to get you through to where you're going---well you'll waste a lot of time. I had a Sihk (sp?) driver who was incredible helpful---your hotel can arrange for a trusted guide.
    Have fun & don't drink the local beer (really, don't!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Or the corn flakes. Don't do it!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Oh, start taking you malaria tablets when you get to India. Buy them over there as they've got better ones that will defeat the current strains encountered in India.

Its been a very long time since I have been to India (1990 and 1999), but John's advice on hiring a local guide/driver is good one. I found the reaction to my 5x7 to be positive, but sometimes had a difficult time working since there was always someone standing in front of my camera looking in the lens.

I don't remember the beer being that bad, and Kingfisher is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Its been a very long time since I have been to India (1990 and 1999), but John's advice on hiring a local guide/driver is good one. I found the reaction to my 5x7 to be positive, but sometimes had a difficult time working since there was always someone standing in front of my camera looking in the lens.

I don't remember the beer being that bad, and Kingfisher is fine.
    Jason, the beer we had has a picture of a Tom selleck looking dude dressed up like Clint Eastwood in one of those spaghetti westerns on the label. It contained formaldahyde and guaranteed a brutal hangover.
    Distilled liqour is prohibitvely expensive so if you want to see some very happy faces, bring in a couple of bottles of scotch with you and gift it to your guide and concierge when checking in. You'll be treated like royalty!

Where in India are you going? I have been all over the country, except for the far east and Gujerat, so I might be able to give you some tips. There are some images on my website.

Kingfisher is indeed a fine beer. Nothing wrong with it. There are some holy towns where alcohol is forbidden and they serve you "special tea" (beer in a tea pot). I remember sitting in a garden restaurant in Madurai (Tamil Nadu) a few years ago. The garden wall had a big sign (about 2 meters wide) painted on it: ALCOHOL STRICTLY FORBIDDEN! The waiter comes up to me and the first thing he asks is "you want beer?"

www.frankbunnik.zenfolio.com

While we are on the subject of alcohol, it is worth remembering that Muslims make up a significant part of the population, and giving a bottle of scotch in public to a Muslim may not go over as intended...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    While we are on the subject of alcohol, it is worth remembering that Muslims make up a significant part of the population, and giving a bottle of scotch in public to a Muslim may not go over as intended...
    ... no matter how much he may appreciate it in private.

Probably a good idea to be discreet no matter who the recipient may be.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I've really only spent a little time (2 weeks) in the Khali Temple area in Calcutta and the people where so poor that I felt using them for photographic subjects would be demeaning to them.

However, that is one small neighborhood in India.

I think by and large there is great beauty there---both natural and architectural as well as the people. I would strongly suggest hiring a guide. If you wonder into an area like Khali Temple you'll be mobbed by curious onlookers and without a native guide to get you through to where you're going---well you'll waste a lot of time. I had a Sihk (sp?) driver who was incredible helpful---your hotel can arrange for a trusted guide.
    Have fun & don't drink the local beer (really, don't!)
    Thank you John and Jason! Ya, I think it's a good idea about driver (if it's not very expensive)).
    I think we'll be drink some scotch or vodka before dinner for disinfection ))