Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drum scans of neg film vs. transparency

Drum scans of neg film vs. transparency

but it won't scan 8x10 eh Al...? :-(

which is what I really need
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

i am using a scanmate 5000 drum scanner with colorquartet software. i use it often, what means every second day with 4x5" , 2,5 x 7" and 35mm cromes and negs (color). negs work easy and very good if you once have understood the software. the quality is great, with cromes too. so i use now negs whenever the fotosituation requires it or makes the shooting more easy. and since i am mounting with drumfluid instead of oil the wet mounting works very fast also,- and i dont have to clean the films afterward ( take care: if your drum is not made from 100% acrylic- material this tip wont work- it will destroy the drum! ).

Hey Mark M., how do you oil or gel mount on a flatbed? What do you clean them with after? Always ended up using my reflective scans instead as I've never been happy with the neg scans from either of the two local shops I send stuff out to.

Thanks
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Matthew - There are several liquids you could use (I even know of one guy in Europe who uses lighter fluid!), but only two I would recommend: Mineral Oil, available in pint bottles from drug stores, which cleans up with Kodak film cleaner (be sure to use with LOTS of ventilation); or a scanner mounting gel called Kami, which you clean up by wiping the excess off with a cotton pad and the rest evaporates. Kami is a European product that I am looking for a source for myself.

If you are using a film scanner you will need a glass to glass sandwich type of carrier which you might have to modify some what. If you are using a flatbed you will have to get some sheets of clear mylar, cut them to a size larger than your trans, tape one edge of the mylar to the glass, add a few drops of mineral oil to each side of your trans, put it under the mylar and tape the oposite edge. Now get a soft rubber roller and start working the oil out to the edges. You might have to add tape to the two remaining edges. Air bubbles will show! Good Luck