Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cezanne Lamps + ColorGenius Question

Re: Cezanne Lamps + ColorGenius Question

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Peter (York), ColorNeg/ColorPerfect (CNCP) is the method I'm starting to use. However, for best results, it's best to feed it a purely linear file, with no color Look Up Table (LUT) applied and a gamma of 1.0.

Although CNCP can deal with files which have different gamma, I have a feeling that even when scanning negs as positives - with black and white points set to 0-255 and maximum dmax - the data in the file isn't a true representation of everything that's in the neg. It's not possible to bypass the Screen software to get the CCD data from the scanner. (that's the data that the scanner processes when it displays the "Setup" progress bar). Because of this, the LUT applied by CNCP doesn't produce the best tonality. And the GUI for that software is too convoluted for me.

This secondary method gives good results, but it's not perfect:

-scan negs as positives (scan wide so there is no clipping in low and high ends)

-in photoshop, sample the orange mask

-create a solid color layer of that sampled color

-set its transfer mode to difference (this will basically remove the orange from the image and give you a very low contrast inverterted image)

-add Levels adjustment layer

-leave the RGB adjustment alone, but tweak R G and B levels so that the rightmost triangle is as close as possible to the part of the left edge of the histogram. (you need to do this for R G and B separately)

-at this point, the low contrast image looks much better but needs a bit more work

-add a curves adjustment layer and shape the RGB curve (the main one, not each the one for each channel) so that it looks like an S (pull in the low end of the curve and push the high end

-there should be more contrast in the image now

-if there is still a color cast, add another curve adjustment layer and tweak individual R G and B or use a Selective color adjustment layer and tweak it's Neutral component

What I found the most frustrating with the Color Genius Software is that it's impossible to tweak SD and HD when scanning negs. If only I could do that, scanning negs as positives would be pointless. Ironically, Screen allows their drum scanning software to set SD and HD whether negs or slides are being scanned... Go figure.

Can someone confirm that it is NOT possible to tweak SD and HD points with Color Genius version 2 or EX?

Thanks

MD

I bought my 5000 from a catalog house and the software contains some presets for color negative film. Most of the film types are for consumer style film that the company apparently used in its catalogs. Kodak Gold and some other now obsolete films.

How are these developed, by Screen, internally, or 3rd party. I'd call the company, but it apparently didnt make it through the recession.

Is there a process out there to create "profiles"? I did try one preset and it came fairly close on the first try (Fuji 160S).

Can these be shared??

I wish we could append this discussion to the master Cezanne file. Its getting to become a useful resourse for folks new to the Cezanne.

bob

I did some perusing of the manual a few weeks ago. It is possible to modify the negative "profiles". I see no reason why they couldn't be shared. In my case, though, I scan BW negatives 99.9% of the time, and so it's not important enough for me to look into this too much, at least at the moment. Maybe this'll change mid-winter.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Can someone please confirm that it is NOT possible to tweak SD and HD points with Color Genius version 2 or EX, when scanning negatives.

I only have version 1 of the software.

Thanks!!

I have version 2 and when you select negative, SD and HD input is blocked.

Have you tried contacting Screen?
    Peter Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter York View Post
    I have version 2 and when you select negative, SD and HD input is blocked.

Have you tried contacting Screen?

Thanks Peter. This confirms what I thought. Screen wasn't able to tell me apart from the cost of the latest version of ColorGenius (around 1500EUR if I remember correctly. Gasp).

I mentioned contacting Screen because they may have some suggestions for scanning color negative (modifying negative profiles, getting a linear scan, etc.), though I doubt they will be of much help.

Like Bob and Peter, most of my scanning is B&W or E-6. I will work on color negative this winter. However, since I'm having some trouble with banding in color negatives, I may give up altogether and stock up on Astia. I'll keep the main thread abreast of any developments on my end. Good luck!
    Peter Y.

I did ask, but as you guessed, not much help there.

And now , new issue. After many tries, I can't get a sharp scan with the Cezanne... Sigh.

Will post about it in the main thread.