Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens questions from a newbie

Lens questions from a newbie

I am fairly new to large format in terms of actual practical use, so please don't laugh at my newbie questions! I finally had time to push through the troubleshooting phase (fixing camera light leaks, discovering BTZS tubes and developing a successful batch of film), so I'm ready to get out and start making pictures. I desperately need some lens advice, though. So far I have been using a 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar in an Ilex 5 shutter that I got from a member on this forum back when I first acquired my camera, which is a beautiful foundation lens for full coverage. I would like to have something on hand for some less conventional shots, with slight vignetting and possibly some interesting bokeh.

I've been reading up on Petzval and other antique lenses, but in my ignorance I am completely at a loss of whether or not they can be mounted in a shutter, how to tell which shutter I could mount one in, how difficult it would be, and what would be needed for such a process. I'm assuming if I can mount one in a shutter finding the correct lens board would be the easy part, as I just need to match it to the shutter size?

I've attached some shots (Sally Mann, I know, of course) of what look I'm going for. Neither strikes me as a Petzval though from what I've read/seen. I know that she's used a lot of old and damaged lenses for her more recent work, but I'm more interested in her older work with Immediate Family, when she was working with film. From what I saw in the Blood Ties documentary, most (if not all) of the Immediate Family shots were shot with the aid of a shutter (and possibly even a more modern lens that simply did not cover 8x10?) I'm shooting 8x10 as well, so I'm assuming that if I want to achieve any vignetting I'd need to look for something under 250mm?

Apologies for being so long-winded, and thank you for any advice you can give!

Re: Lens questions from a newbie

The 14" Commercial Ektar is a fine 8x10 lens. If you want to diffuse it, rubberband a piece of nylon panty hose over the lens or put good smear of K-Y or Vasiline (K-Y is water soluable) on a filter. You can even try some mechanical vignetting by shooting through a pasteboard tube (make your own or use a section from a mailing tube for blue prints) Experiment with it. Enjoy it. Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Petzvals will give a sharp center, with the edges going out of focus more quickly than a more modern lens. You can mount one in a shutter with work, planning, and luck. Every lens from the 1800s was different, and the threads and sizes weren't very standardized, at least for 20th century shutters that were yet to be invented. Here is an example a member is selling on the board.

Many get around this by using a Packard shutter, which can give about a 1/10 exposure. Also, some Wollensak Vitex lenses are in studio shutters that can do about the same time. Or you can use slow film and hold a black cardboard to the front of the lens and quickly move it.

Both those shots show the weirdness Sally is known for, in subject matter, composition, toning, processing. I suppose in lenses too, these might have been shot with Petzvals. These shots look wide angle, or very short lenses for the film size. You can get these looks with many lenses though. Check the Flicker Petzval Photographs group to see what people are doing with Petzvals.

I believe these were made during Mann's pinhole days. Almost certainly the first one is a pinhole image. A pinhole can be made for use on any LF, and many other cameras.

Jenni, LFF member "JSS"/Jason Schlachet has done some interesting things on 8x10 with what I think is an old rapid-rectilinear convertible lens intended for 5x7. Check out this link--the first example is really good, IMO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schlach...7624115254658/

If you decide you want to try a petzval, I can probably loan you one to try out. You'd normally want a packard shutter set-up though if you need a shutter for a petzval large enough to cover 8x10 at infinity. If you didn't mind vignetting on 8x10, I could loan you an 8" petzval with a front-mount shutter and flange, so all you need then is a board with the proper hole in it.

Cheers,
    Richard

Thanks everyone for your help! I have to say I'm a little nervous about lenses with no shutters, just because I barely have the basics of LF down and I'm afraid to add another factor. Although now that my camera's functioning properly it might not be a bad idea. I'm just still terrible at guessing shutter speed/f-stop combinations, but I guess I won't get better until I practice.

And Richard--I don't know if I feel comfortable enough in the format to borrow a lens quite yet (afraid I'd hurt it!), plus I only have the one lens board at the moment, but I'll keep your offer in mind for the future.

What camera do you use? I might have an extra board.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    What camera do you use? I might have an extra board.

Dan
    Hah Dan, that's a good question. It's got an Orbit logo on the end of the monorail, but I've honestly never seen another camera like it (at least not for sale). It looks like the second to last image on this page.

Quote Originally Posted by jennirose View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help! I have to say I'm a little nervous about lenses with no shutters, just because I barely have the basics of LF down and I'm afraid to add another factor. Although now that my camera's functioning properly it might not be a bad idea. I'm just still terrible at guessing shutter speed/f-stop combinations, but I guess I won't get better until I practice.

And Richard--I don't know if I feel comfortable enough in the format to borrow a lens quite yet (afraid I'd hurt it!), plus I only have the one lens board at the moment, but I'll keep your offer in mind for the future.
    Do you have a lightmeter?
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.