Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: "Sky Rock" Petroglyph

Re: "Sky Rock" Petroglyph

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    How did you get the metadata off of that?
    Simple. I did a "save as" of the image file and then opened it in a photo editor, which showed that it was taken with a Nikon D700 on 4/30/2014, 9:14:28 AM (date and time could be inaccurate on the camera), using a 17mm focal length, f/3.5, for 1 second exposure.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    How did you get the metadata off of that?
    Using Firefox, open the menu in the top-left, and click Add-Ons.
    The Add-ons Manager tab will open, and then enter "exif" or "metadata" into the search box. I loaded up Exif Viewer 2.0.
    Then open the image for viewing, and right-click on it, then select "View Link EXIF Data" from the context menu.

You'll see a huge helping of data there!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Drew Wiley

Methinks the sky is jet contrails

Saratoga, CA

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Haha! That snap was taken in New Idria - California's latest ghost town - a couple of days after gaining extensive news coverage. The "Keep Out" sign was posted by New Idria's last resident and official Mayor "Me", well that's what we called her. I first discovered the location about 15 years earlier while hiking, camping, and exploring in the general area. At that time it was occupied by a county drug Rehab outfit that was supposed to clean-up the site. The drug rehab people cleared out and extensive news coverage followed when New Idria was declared an EPA Super Fund site. Hanta Virus was supposed to to infest all the structures and warnings were posted throughout. The whole area was supposedly cordoned-off by the San Benito County Sheriff's Department and anyone caught entering would be ticketed/arrested. I couldn't resist the urge to see it again and about 10 of us (photographers) did a field trip. Great shoot! We entered all the buildings wearing surgical masks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Idria,_California
    I rode dirt bikes for years in the Clear Creek area adjacent to New Idria. They closed the area a few years back because of the Asbestos levels, maybe that's why I lost my hair?

Mr.Gale

Drew Wiley

All California serpentine has low levels of asbestos. But old mines in general aren't particularly safe places for any number of reasons. I'm surprised I survived my own
    teenage misadventures exploring old gold mine shafts. The modern mantra, however, is, when in doubt, scare people away for reasons of hypothetical liability risk.

That's the sky that was there . . . not large format, D700. The 4x5 never got out of the car . . . fifty years ago I wouldn't hesitate to lug the LF stuff up that cliff, but not today.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Methinks the sky is jet contrails
    You're right, Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Slinger View Post
    The 4x5 never got out of the car . . . fifty years ago I wouldn't hesitate to lug the LF stuff up that cliff, but not today.
    So, your'e just here today to thumb your nose at us? Quite an asset to the community.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Simple. I did a "save as" of the image file and then opened it in a photo editor, which showed that it was taken with a Nikon D700 on 4/30/2014, 9:14:28 AM (date and time could be inaccurate on the camera), using a 17mm focal length, f/3.5, for 1 second exposure.
    Seemple for you, deeficult for me. No EXIF info is shown in either Aperture or Pixelmator that I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Using Firefox, open the menu in the top-left, and click Add-Ons.
    The Add-ons Manager tab will open, and then enter "exif" or "metadata" into the search box. I loaded up Exif Viewer 2.0.
    Then open the image for viewing, and right-click on it, then select "View Link EXIF Data" from the context menu.

You'll see a huge helping of data there!

Thanks. I had been in Safari on the Mac. I did just that in Firefox and downloaded EXIF Viewer. But no EXIF info was present. It was an academic exercise anyway.