Page 8 of 96 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: how old are we?

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

how old are we?

Age 44 here -- more MF and less 4x5 and 8x10 than I'd like these days.

how old are we?

I'll raise the average age with my stats. Yesterday, I celebrated my 72nd birthday. Made my first print in a darkroom at age 16. Addicted to photography ever since. Started large format with a 4X5 Speed Graphic at age 18. Hand held large format photography. Very difficult for a little guy to haul that huge fiber box filled with film holders and flashbulbs. Soon, moved to a much more compact, lighter, and more practical Rollei TLR. A stint in the in the armed forces using a 35mm Exacta. Back to civilian life, and medium format and 35mm for the next 26 years. In 1982, purchased a Calumet 4X5, and it's been B&W large format negatives ever since. Much easier to print than 6X6 and 35mm negs. I leave the small format and digital imaging to my young, beautiful wife.

how old are we?

I am 40. I got started in large format about seven years ago so that I could photograph furniture with a corrected perspective. Then I saw the fluid work of Jack Welpott. When I went outside, he was sitting there on a bench. I took an intensive with Jack, who showed me a way.

how old are we?

I'm 40 years old and started shooting large format 13 years ago, shortly after moving to my adopted home state of Oregon.

I began photographing the landscape at the age of 14 with my father's Argus C3. Moved up to an Olympus OM-1 bought with my summer job earnings at the age of 16. My first large format camera was a Speed Graphic that came with a 127mm Ektar and two film holders. It was a purchase that changed my life forever.

http://www.thalmann.com

Kerry

how old are we?

68 years behind me, just gettin' tuned up...

Started in '45 or '46 with a Brownie Hawkeye, moved up into the big time with an Argus C-4 (remember them?). Got serious about '59 with 6x6 and 4x5. I still go through 120 & 220 film like thre's no tomorrow, using an 25+ year old RB-67, a couple of Mamiya M7's, a Cambo Wide 612, and a Fuji 617.

Somewhere around '63, I started using a 4x5 Graphic View, then swapped it for a Tachihara. About 1980, I convinced some guy to sell me a 5x7 Deardorff for $175.00. About that time I got a hot flash and built my own 6x17 view camera using a 90mm Super Angulon.

Then, about 5 years ago I woke up with this irresistable urge to get a Canham 8x20. Now when I go on a photo trip, my pickup is jammed with a forest of tripods, cameras, filmholders, and lens cases. It's crazy... (fun, though)...

My wife of 62 is my faithful sidekick, record keeper, and umbrella holder, she sure makes oprating that 8x20 easier. I should be able to go another 20 years, or so...

how old are we?

I'm 29, 'been shooting 4x5 for about 1 year or so. 'Been shooting with a serious eye about 14 years.

how old are we?

Hello, I'm 50 yrs old and been using large format for ten years. I know and have seen working about a dozen LF workers in the UK

Robin

how old are we?

I am 45, originaly from France but leaving in Northern California since 1983. I started 4x5 about two years ago.

how old are we?

I am 49. I started with a Brownie back in the late 50s/early 60s. Now I use whatever I have handy or fits the situation best, 35mm, medium format, 4x5 and 8x10.

how old are we?

I'm 51 (barely) and started using LF in the early 80's. Have gone to medium format for certain things, but there's nothing like a BIG neg.