Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full frame 4x5 holders for Epson v700/750

Full frame 4x5 holders for Epson v700/750

Are the Betterscanning holders full frame? I am trying to use the scanner for some "better than proofing scans", but hate how the holders cut into the image. I like the convenience of using the holders for this method, otherwise I'd use anti-newton glass as I do with 8x10 negatives. Let me know also if there is even another manufacturer that I may never have heard of. Thanks in advance.

Michael E. Gordon

Re: Full frame 4x5 holders for Epson v700/750

You cut your own masks with the Betterscan holder, so you can accommodate whatever size you need to.

How about filing down the Epson holder like it was done with enlarger holders? Anyone tried that?

You can also use the V750 glass wet mount holder in dry mount configuration by taping the film, emulsion side away from the glass, then shiming the holder so that the film emulsion faces down about 3.5 mm from the Epson platen. (That is mounting the film under the glass) This way the Epson lens doesn't need to image thru the wet mount glass resulting in a bit higher contrast and resolution. Need to do this under dry conditions to avoid newton ring plague at the smooth back surface of the film. Use a hand cut black matboard mask around the film to reduce scattered light.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Eh, it's been about 4 years since I last used one but I was wet-mounting directly to the glass on a 750 in gradschool.

Flat. Full Frame. Fear of liquid getting into the scanner kept some people from doing it, but I never got close to doing that.
    ----

If this is/was a bad idea, I'd love to hear people explain why (I'll be loosing access to a drum scanner shortly and have considered returning to the 750)

I was also thinking of filing one of the holders out. Any good suggestions for how best to file down plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I was also thinking of filing one of the holders out. Any good suggestions for how best to file down plastic?
    Sandpaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    teeth
    duh

Drew Wiley

Check the grizzly bear thread in the Lounge. Smear the holder first with peanut butter.
    But seriously, what works best is a formica file, sometimes sold as a ski file, which
    cuts better and loads less than ordinary flat files or rasps, and is ideal for plastics.

Now that you mention this... have you guys ever seen those nail files that are made of plastic or some kind of similar material? Could perfectly be formica... Those would do a good job too.