Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silverfast 8 on Epson V750 Pro

Silverfast 8 on Epson V750 Pro

I have hit a brick wall.

I am able to use Epson scanning software and Silverfast 6 to scan 4x5 BW negatives so I don't suspect my computer or V750 Pro.

Here is the problem: Silverfast 8 does a prescan without problems but will not do a scan. Silverfast8 reports a scanner error and Windows reports that a generic host process for Win 32 has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I have been trying to figure out which of the many things I am probably doing wrong is causing this problem.

I am running XP Pro SP3 32bit and the Silverfast8 for 32bit. The Silverfast8 was originally downloaded in August and a new version on September 18th both will prescam but not scan.

I realize Silvfast8 has just been released and may have some growing pains but is anyone else having this same problem?

Re: Silverfast 8 on Epson V750 Pro

I have had similar problems trying the Demo version. I have a similar configuration (XP Pro SP3 32 bits and SF8 32 bits).

After several tests, I found that I my issues were related to the image size.

For medium format color, 6x6, I could not go over 1800 dpi if using iSRD or above 3600 dpi without iSRD. If I cropped to a small frame then no problem, so it was not an issue of dpi but total size.

At what resolution are you scanning? If you are using LF, like 4 x 5", then try a low resolution like 600 dpi

Other options (to test if you could get a scan):

-Turn iSRD off
    -Scan in the 48 bit HDR mode, this way it only scans and save without any processing.

I wrote Silverfast support about this, but I havenīt received an answer yet.

Thanks for the input. I have not received a reply from software support either.

Try VueScan! Don't waste your time with Silverfast...

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    Try VueScan! Don't waste your time with Silverfast...
    After seeing your post, I downloaded the trial version. It seems much easier to use than the Silverfast that I've been using. I like the user interface much better.

I just have a question. Apparently, this software comes with drivers. The installation process gives the option but I declined. Now it's using V700 (previously installed driver). I have a V750. Am I losing anything here? Should I uninstall existing drivers and reinstall?

(please excuse the thread-jack)
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Jeho, AFAIK the V700 and V750 are identical in the scanner data. The only difference is the software package (Monaco and Silverfast).

However, Ed Hamrick has some information about the installation for Epson V700 and V750 scanners here (identical procedure):

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/epson...tion_v750.html

Hi wjmva,
    Hi Francisco,

Which resolution are you using? are you using a scale factor?
    I believe I have seen such messages but it appear after the end file size goes over 4 GB (which in my opinion is a huge file).

Try going a little below 3,8 GB on the resulting file

Regards

Alex

My files were below 200 megs.
    This software could be a real joy but in my opinion it needs to mature.
    As a result of this discussion I am using Vuescan and my problems have gone away.

Hi wjmva, good to hear! Glad I could help, and now enjoy a totally new experience in scanning and your detailed images!

Just so no one thinks that toyota's opinion is unanimous - I used Vuescan and Silverfast for years (first Vuescan, then Silverfast). I preferred Silverfast.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.