Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Is "normal" perspective the most pleasing?

Re: Is "normal" perspective the most pleasing?

I agree with Ansel and find 'normal' maybe the least pleasing. I 'see' (I think) very good with telephotos and super wides so that is what I generally use. I need a 150 for 8x10.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    After all this discussion, I got a 200mm lens for 4x5. I'm liking the sense of distance and space.
    Ken,
    I don't know if you realise that but you yourself have now the answer to your original question at your fingertip. Just answer to yourself - am I now more pleased with the new perspective or not?

"...you yourself have now the answer to your original question at your fingertip"

Yes, thanks. I like the slight sense of compression. Like James Bond: "shaken, not stirred"

I can see why 210mm is so popular for 4x5.

Here's one made with a 300mm lens on 5x7 (cropped to 11x14 ratio), which amounts to the same thing as 200mm on 4x5 similarly cropped. I made this before taking up the question.

Yes, thanks. I like the slight sense of compression. Like James Bond: "shaken, not stirred"

I can see why 210mm is so popular for 4x5.
    Sure. In fact, the perspective in itself is not a content of a picture. It's just like a style. And one style in itself is hardly any more pleasing than the other, it all depends on the content. A poem or a novel is not in itself more pleasing than the other, it's all in what you put into them. Stay cool.

"perspective in itself is not a content of a picture."

You may be right, but one can also see that perspective, just like aspect ratio, tonality, composition, chiaroscuro, etc. is an element of a photo. If it's there, it's an element of the photograph.

Perspective may be a less important element to some people, but that is a matter of personal preference. Hence the basic question entertained in this thread.

"perspective in itself is not a content of a picture."

You may be right, but one can also see that perspective, just like aspect ratio, tonality, composition, chiaroscuro, etc. is an element of a photo. If it's there, it's an element of the photograph.

Perspective may be a less important element to some people, but that is a matter of personal preference. Hence the basic question entertained in this thread.
    Is a novel more pleasing than a poem? Matters of personal preference are not objectively comparable because they are just that - personal preference. "Is an apple more pleasing than a pear" is a different question than - "does an apple please me more than a pear?"

You are right. Thank you very much for your insight. This thread is now closed.