Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal non-folding cameras?

Stefan

Metal non-folding cameras?

Non-folders have caught my interest, as cameras more suited to urban photography than my Chamonix. Being rather small and setting up nearly instantly are requirements, and not a lot of bellows extension is needed.

I'd prefer something made out of metal, but there does not seem to be much to choose from. One of the Frica models linked here the other day is the only I've found
    http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.ph...7&pagenumber=1
    (the one pictured below the last landscape photo #6).

That one unfortunately does not have rear rise which I'd want (since front fall is limited).

Anything else out there?

Re: Metal non-folding cameras?

Sylvestri. But most are not 45 and I think most were front rise.

If I understand you well, you don't mean metal cameras with helical focusing mount (there would be more of them in that category). But you won't find (not film only) metal non folding cameras with bellows and all movements as monorails. Simply because monorails already do what you want and can be small too. Arca Swiss is a modular camera and if you want it can be used in a very short time if you carry it (not difficult) ready on the rail.

You could hunt for a used Gowland. Very small with a 6-inch rail (suitable for a 90mm lens or less) and as light as they get. Movements are very good with lots of front rise/fall possible and front/back tilts and swings.

But you won't find (not film only) metal non folding cameras with bellows and all movements as monorails.
    Except for the one pictured in the link?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Except for the one pictured in the link?
    As you can read in the first post that camera doesn't have all the movements of a monorail camera.

... how about the great Technikardan by Linhof. Somehow a folder, yes, but compact and with full monorail movements - plus you can get the non-S version down to as low as $1000 US if you are patient. Why not consider a Technika IV, too? You won't have back rise, but you can turn the camera upside down and get a lot of front fall. I know that I'm probably not shedding light on anything you didn't know already, but I can say, from personal experience, that the build quality of linhof is hightly addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Sylvestri. But most are not 45 and I think most were front rise.
    There were 4x5 backs and bellows, but not really what they were best at. Though if someone offered me a 45 back for mine I would consider it...

They are called Sinars, Arcas, Toyos... the monorail has many practical advantages - rear vertical movements being one of them. In most models, movements are limited only by the coverage of your lens.

Just use a shorter monorail section and a smaller tripod block if you want compactness. A Sinar Norma or Toyo G has a small block. The Arca doesn't even use a block. But even the taller Sinar tripod blocks work out fine in practice if you consider the block to be part of the tripod instead of the camera (amazing how redefining it lightens the camera so much!)

If a camera doesn't have front fall, but has front rise, use it upside down.

A speed/crown graphic might fit the bill for an urban convenient camera.