Thread: New Mexico fall colors

New Mexico fall colors

My plans were to travel to northern New Mexico later this month. With the severe drought her in Texas, it led me to wonder how new Mexico is doing and will there be a leaf season this year?

Any northern NM natives offer me a sitrep?

Bob

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: New Mexico fall colors

I drove both direction across country last month, long story, longer drive. The Texas panhandle and Oklahoma looked much worse for the drought, lots of dead trees, bushes and brush. Arizona and New Mexico did not. Going East from Tucomcari [eastside of New Mexico], the temperatures shot up quickly.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Bob,

Not sure which area of Northern New Mexico you are planning. I'm in the northwest corner (Farmington), and IMO we haven't seen the effects other parts of the state have seen (ie. no real noticeable change over the past few years)...

Although, for us, we usually head north an hour or so (just over the Colorado border - usually La Plata Canyon - San Juan National Forest) for the changing colors - plentiful aspens and scrub oak - been a week or so since I was up there and was still very green (wet winter)...

Dan

Joshua Tree, California

I have been to La Plata Canyon. Awesomely beautiful. What do you think the best time will be for La Plata? I am guessing last week of Sept to first week of Oct.

Angel fire - Truchas - Taos area is the current plan during the later part of September.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed...

Bob

Bob
    If your trip can take you through southern NM going to northern NM, there are some wonderful aspen and maple stands in the Cloudcroft area. I really like Karr Canyon just south of Cloudcroft.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
    My plans were to travel to northern New Mexico later this month. With the severe drought her in Texas, it led me to wonder how new Mexico is doing and will there be a leaf season this year?

Any northern NM natives offer me a sitrep?

Bob
    Bob,

I am just a few miles from the NM border, so depending on where you are headed and how firm the itinerary, I can recommend the San Juans which wrap around Pagosa Springs for some of the best autumn leaves. The prime time for Aspens, though, is usually around the first to the second weekend in October.

If you are in the Santa Fe - Espanola area you can drive up US84 to Pagosa Springs, cross over Wolf Creek Pass on US160 and then north on CO149 to Creede. Their Aspens seem to turn a little earlier. There are also some excellent mine ruins on the Mine Tour. Or you could go over to Summitville and Platoro if you don't mind primitive roads.

If you are in the Farmington area as has already been recommended there are vast stands north of Durango on US550 as well as old mine ruins if you don't mind a little 4-wheeling, as well as on to Silverton and beyond.

South of where I live the environment is lower and dryer with mostly pinion and juniper. If you would like a little more information on the area, feel free to contact me.
    al