Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When RA4 developer is too old...

The Rookie

When RA4 developer is too old...

I thought I could get away with 6 week old chemistry. Not so. I mixed up the Kodak kit on July 14. The print should be predominately blue but it's coming out reddish amber. Is that from developer that's too old? Should the blix still be okay?

I've never used anything but kits for color film or print. I'm hoping to get away from that but I don't really understand the products very well. Would I need to buy Starter AND Replenisher? It seems like this could be much more economical than kits if I have a better understanding.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Re: When RA4 developer is too old...

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

These can be mixed as you go.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

I use Armadillo photo supply and use Trebla chems. If you have an understanding of aliquoting ( dividing amounts up into smaller equal amounts from a larger size) you can buy 25 gallon mix sizes at substantial cost savings( still not cheap but not the liquid gold prices of those little kits). Mix and if you can refrigerate your mixed chems the life is incredibly extended.

Don't know about yours but properly stored (air displaced and kept cool) RA developer should last six weeks with no problems.

I use the same Kodak products Mark linked to, but with the starter. I think if you are going to replenish then you should also use the starter to keep the process from drifting. The developer listed is both the replenisher and the developer when mixed with starter and water.

They keep well over 6 weeks if the air is evacuated from the bottles. The blix seems to keep better than the developer.

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Don't know about yours but properly stored (air displaced and kept cool) RA developer should last six weeks with no problems.
    My darkroom is in the part of my office that isn't being used anymore since I laid everyone off and I'm a one-man land-surveying outfit. I'm too cheap to run the AC in the whole office all the time so my chems are regularly stored around 80-85 degrees. From what you're saying, I assume that I should be keeping the mixed chems in the fridge. Is that okay for RA4, E-6 & C41? Also, I suppose I should use collapsible bottles or use my argon gas from my wire-feed welder.

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Barendt View Post
    These can be mixed as you go.
    Thanks Mark. Is there a similar solution for the C41 and E6?

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    My darkroom is in the part of my office that isn't being used anymore since I laid everyone off and I'm a one-man land-surveying outfit. I'm too cheap to run the AC in the whole office all the time so my chems are regularly stored around 80-85 degrees. From what you're saying, I assume that I should be keeping the mixed chems in the fridge. Is that okay for RA4, E-6 & C41? Also, I suppose I should use collapsible bottles or use my argon gas from my wire-feed welder.
    I'm not sure. I've kept it in a cool(ish) basement in the low 70s. I think I've heard of people refrigerating it but I haven't and can't say for certain it wouldn't cause problems.

It has also been a long time since I did RA4. (Over a decade.) I was using the regular stuff in drums (PITA) then went to Tetenal RA4AT not realizing the bleach-fix was a problem and that you can use the regular stuff at room temperature. Both developers kept well (2-3 months, always used it up by then) in that basement at the time.

The only real RA process is done at 100F, RA does keep if not used up to several years 2-3 un mixed. I never liked the room temp stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I'm not sure. I've kept it in a cool(ish) basement in the low 70s. I think I've heard of people refrigerating it but I haven't and can't say for certain it wouldn't cause problems.

It has also been a long time since I did RA4. (Over a decade.) I was using the regular stuff in drums (PITA) then went to Tetenal RA4AT not realizing the bleach-fix was a problem and that you can use the regular stuff at room temperature. Both developers kept well (2-3 months, always used it up by then) in that basement at the time.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com