Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6x17 camera reflections

Re: 6x17 camera reflections

How do you use your Linhof? If it's tripod only, then you could get one of those Shen-Hao 617 field cameras that Mr. Lachlan helped design. You'd give up the rigid body, but in return you'd get much more lens flexibillity, ground glass, and movements.

That would certainly generate enough cash to dip a toe into 8x10 waters.

Rick "who likes the idea of 617, but would probably not use it much in practice" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    How do you use your Linhof? If it's tripod only, then you could get one of those Shen-Hao 617 field cameras that Mr. Lachlan helped design. You'd give up the rigid body, but in return you'd get much more lens flexibillity, ground glass, and movements.

That would certainly generate enough cash to dip a toe into 8x10 waters.

Rick "who likes the idea of 617, but would probably not use it much in practice" Denney
    I don't even have a toe in the 6x17 pool and the Shen Hao 617 field seems like a fun idea. $1699, rollfilm back included, which is very reasonable, and it's a pretty camera, to boot.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

Richard Brown

Better yet, buy a Canham 5x7 with his motorized 6x17 back and then you can shoot those big 5x7 images AND have all those lenses to use on 617 as well. I did it and love the combo but use the 4x5 reducing back. Colour film is more restrictive in 5x7 as per
    availability and type. As for 8x10 in studio work, I picked up a gorgeous Fatif monorail 8x10 last year for $425 from Quality Camera....a beast but exquisite! Your best option might be keeping the excellent Linhof and grabbing a good 810 monorail.

Quote Originally Posted by richard brown View Post
    Better yet, buy a Canham 5x7 with his motorized 6x17 back and then you can shoot those big 5x7 images AND have all those lenses to use on 617 as well. I did it and love the combo but use the 4x5 reducing back. Colour film is more restrictive in 5x7 as per
    availability and type. As for 8x10 in studio work, I picked up a gorgeous Fatif monorail 8x10 last year for $425 from Quality Camera....a beast but exquisite! Your best option might be keeping the excellent Linhof and grabbing a good 810 monorail.
    The Linhof Technorama 612 and 617 cameras, with any of their lenses, is easily hand holdable when you want. Or when you are shooting where a tripod can not be used.
    How do you do that with your solution?

Quote Originally Posted by richard brown View Post
    I second Richard's idea. I bought a Canham 6x17 roll film back and love it. I don't have one of his cameras but I modified a Sinar 5x7 back to accommodate the Canham 6x17 back. I can use any lens that will cover 5x7 (even a little less) and obviously being a Monorail I have movements that are only limited by coverage. I can even use my old brass lenses with a Sinar shutter and the Canham 6x17 back.

It makes for a extremely versatile multi-format platform. Right now I can shoot 4x5, 6x17 or 5x7 on it. I have yet to buy a 8x10 back but am in the market if I can find one for a good price.

-Joshua