Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Film Washer

8x10 Film Washer

What do people here recommend for washing 8x10 film? I have a Zone VI 11x14 print washer which I've used in the past, but it's not accessible to me right now. That pretty much leaves soaking in multiple trays of water. Any suggestions?

Octogenarian

Re: 8x10 Film Washer

Try using a wash aid, such as Heico Perma Wash or Orbit Bath, to help speed up the washing sequence.

You won't need to change the water in the tray as often.

Use a final soak in distilled water and a wetting agent,before hanging to dry.

Thanks Gem, but I'm looking for something other than trays in which to wash 8x10 film. I do use Perma-Wash and distilled water with Photo-Flo. But my question was not about the procedure; I don't think I phrased it well.

What I want is an 8x10 film washer. Is anybody here familiar with the Inglis film washers? The Rosy Products washers seem to be well received, but I haven't been able to locate any price information yet. Any other suggestions?

I highly recommend the Inglis washers. They are small, isolate each sheet in separate slots to protect them during the wash and use minimal amounts of water to accomplish the stated objective. Plus, Alistair is one of us and a great guy. I like them so much I purchased them for 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20. Go to their website and give Alistair a call. I found that many of the times with other washers I was scratching my sheet film in the damn wash cycle and it was driving my friggin crazy. No more with the Inglis washers. They are simple, light and small but they work as intended very well.

Thank you Michael. I've emailed Alistair. Good to hear a positive recommendation.

Octogenarian

Hi Will,

When you stated that your film washer was not accessible to you right now, I assumed that you were using trays temporarily while you were without your film washer.

I use an 8x10 D&V film washer that I purchased from Jim, at Midwest, quite a while ago. It also handles 5x7 and 4x5 negatives on SS hangers.

I used trays for many years before finding an 8x10 paper washer at an estate auction. Highly recommended -- any washer which separates the sheets will save time and water over trays, I think.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

x2 on the Inglis. I have his 8 x 10 washer. Works well. I would get the on for in-sink use rather than the one for out of sink use to save a little money. They are reasonably compact and hook up with standard vinyl tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Thank you Michael. I've emailed Alistair. Good to hear a positive recommendation.
    I always feel good about directing my business toward entrepreneurial people that own their own companies particularly when it comes to photographic equipment or services.

I appreciate all the responses. Gem, I'm sorry I wasn't clear in the initial post. My 11x14 print washer is 800 miles away in storage, so I need something to replace it for now.