Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Isberg Pass - Southern Yosemite

Isberg Pass - Southern Yosemite

Since the newest trend seems to be "reporting" Sierra conditions, despite the fact that summitpost may be a more appropriate forum for this sort of thing, I'll add this from a week ago.

• Mosquitoes, snow persisting in shade above 9,000', green, abundant wildflowers, passes to 10,500' clear with snow patches, mostly solid above 11,000' (Clark Range), all water crossings easily negotiable... and oh yeah, did I already say MOSQUITOES?!? – I'm not going out again until mid-September
    • I would hazard a guess that many passes above 11,000' north and 12,000' south of the San Joaquin will fail to completely clear of snow this year.
    • ...as well as these decidedly non–LF images.

FYI: The otherwise unneeded ice axe (see video) was for Red Peak Pass, which I didn't have information for prior to leaving the trailhead.

Drew Wiley

Re: Isberg Pass - Southern Yosemite

That area is some of my old back yard. The quiet way into Yos backcounty. The only
    time I ever needed an ice axe around there was downclimbing a class 3 col over the
    face of Madera Pk following a freezing rain. Naturally, the ice axe was left in the back
    of the truck because I figured I wouldn't need it. So I just had to keep lowering the
    pack & view camera with a section of rope and downclimb the best I could. I'm waiting
    out the mosquitos too, but itchy to get into the backcountry before it starts snowing
    again! I generally prefer the Clark Range in mid-June before the bugs, but this year is
    certainly different. Of course, it's up in there that John Muir became convinced of the
    glacial origin of Yosemite, by discovering an active glacier on Merced Pk. Not a trace
    of active glaciation anymore in the Clarks.

I was on top of Half Dome last week. No Snow, no mossies, lots of smoke...and lots of people, too. I wimped out -- just took the Rolleiflex instead of the 5x7.

I just got back from the Ansel Adams Wilderness... Yosemite was smoked in, so we opted for Garnet and Thousand Island Lake instead of Lyell Canyon to Vogelsang.

Mosquitos were worse than I've ever seen... they were fierce and thick all day, even in the wind. Heading back in a week or two, hoping they have mellowed out by then.

Scattered snow around 9,000 feet. We didn't really venture up past 10,000.

I guess I was too busy swatting mosquitos to meter correctly. Either that or I couldn't read my meter through the mosquito net.
    Robert Oliver

Drew Wiley

More than once in the high country I've had trouble achieving fine focus with my loupe, couldn't figure out what's going on ... check my groundglass for condensation,
    check my loupe for fingerprints, rub my eyes ... finally remove the lensboard and a
    mosquito flies out.

I get a similar problem photographing out of Humboldt County -- The GG will get harder and harder to see and focus on. I then remove the back of the camera and usually a puff of steam comes out and I will find that the back of the lens will be fogged up. The sun (seldom seen in coastal Humboldt County) heats up the black bellows and drives out the residual moisture!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    ...leaving the trailhead.
    Did you leave from the Quartz Mountain TH?

Thomas

Thomas,

Isberg Pass TH, now located above Granite Creek Campground. Exited Clover Meadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    I just got back from the Ansel Adams Wilderness...
    RE: "Attached Thumbnail" - scan

Here's a real LARGE FORMAT scan of a 30'X40' fiber print:

Shadow Lake, After the Storm

from my quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I was on top of Half Dome last week. No Snow, no mossies, lots of smoke...and lots of people, too. I wimped out -- just took the Rolleiflex instead of the 5x7.
    The mossies were so bad that I had to eat lunch (and a few vectors), on Isberg Pass with a 30 mile/hour gusting wind – with my head net on. There was nothing else up there for them to "eat", other than me – though, quite understandably I have been told I am exceptionally delicious .