Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody used one of these shutter releases?

Has anybody used one of these shutter releases?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-shutte...item4cf01c4de3

Any opinions?

I'm looking for something small and convenient, button-shaped, for my little 9x12. The cable release I'm using is no good.

Re: Has anybody used one of these shutter releases?

No. I did have something that could have been great. An vintage hydraulic item that looked similar. Unfortunately, the cylinder was stuck and repair attempts just covered me with oil.

That's a neat little device. I want one...or two.

With Large Format I would be affraind that just a button like that right next to the lens that I would get movement on the camera from the button being pressed. Especaly on long exposures having to press it to open the shutter and then press it to close it again. Even a 6 inch cable would keep you plenty far from the lens to prevent any trouble.

This is going on a press camera that will either be handheld (blurry anyway) or on a tripod. The camera has a rear focal plane shutter that is quite a beast anyway, movement isn't the key issue I think.

Not planning on having one for a delicate front standard on a lightweight field camera shooting 1 minute exposures.

Deardorff Sales and service

Everything old is new again..........Something similar was around in the 70s and was a waste of the machinist time and energy. Of course then you could get many well made cable releases. Ask your camera shop to get you a 36 inch AGC Gauthier of Calmbach cable release. No doubt that kid behind the counter has no idea what you are talking about, just keep trying
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Tell us more about the 36 inch AGC Gauthier of Calmbach cable release. Man that is fun to say 3 times in a row ! I just found in my goodie box a 6 inch AGC cable release. The plunger handle has a very nice script design of the company name AGC on it. A really smooth little unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-shutte...item4cf01c4de3

Any opinions?

I'm looking for something small and convenient, button-shaped, for my little 9x12. The cable release I'm using is no good.
    I have one. Your post got me to dig it up and try putting it on the lens that's currently on my 3.25x4.25 Crown Graphic - a 135 Apo-Symmar in Copal 0 - to see how that combination would work.

Pretty well, actually. The release has a long and not especially smooth stroke, but with a bit of practice it should be workable for all but critical timing on fast action. I like it enough that I might even use it next time I go out with one of my Graphics hand-held.

The picture in the eBay posting doesn't give any size cues, but it's quite large - about 4.5 cm long, and 1 cm diameter at the fat end. So the critical question will be whether there's enough room for it to fit the front standard of your camera and allow for comfortable finger access, when it's screwed in to whatever cable release socket is provided.

What you really want is one of those lovely little shutter buttons that Alpa provides with their pricey helicoid-mounted apo-digital lenses. Alas, they won't sell them separately - I asked.

I have a little spring loaded button on the lensboard. It works good. I wonder if they still make/sell them.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I had a different style one from a Crown Graphic, probably 50s-era. Worked OK, a cable is still going to be smoother.