Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joyland Wichita

Joyland Wichita

Saw this in today's paper http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-America.html that could be of interest to LF photographers.

Looks a really interesting subject for a reportage for folks not too far away. Search didn't turn up any prior reference to Joyland. I suppose there must be a number of similar derelict theme park sites over here where I am here in UK too, I'll have to do some research.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Joyland Wichita

Wow! Nothing like that where I live. There's a site about various abandoned regions of Japan, with mining towns and amusement parks.

Somebody local needs to go after that!

I might try and touch base with those people and see if anyone is allowed in to take photos. That's only 3-4 hours from here.

Joshua Tree, California

Wichita sucks big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    Wichita sucks big time.
    I've only been there a day or two at a time, but I'd have to disagree with that.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    Wichita sucks big time.
    I lived there for what seemed like an eternity, five long weeks.
    It seems like there a is bad mojo in Wichita when it comes to weather. Whatever the weather is like in the rest of the state, it's usually worse in Wichita.

Joshua Tree, California

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rankin View Post
    I've only been there a day or two at a time, but I'd have to disagree with that.
    Yeah but you are from Missouri and that probably sucks just as bad so your perspective is questionable.

I lived in Wichita on two separate occasions for a total of more than about twenty five years. I don't share the negative opinions of some because Wichita was a very good experience for me. My children grew up there and it provided a very good living for me in the operation of my business there.

I don't know that Joyland would allow photography. In my experience dealing with the then owners in my business, I found them quite protective of their exposure to potential liability.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Cue Mission: Impossible! theme and slip in! You could also contact the person who made the video and ask them about it.

I grew up in wichita, that's why I live in Seattle. If you don't like the weather, don't worry, with the wind you will have the next states weather in an hour. Heat, humidity,
    can't walk on the asphalt in summer to get away from the bugs that leave a hole in you leg when they bite. A crow packs a lunch to fly over, and flys upside down so he don't have to look at it. Drive past joyland east 30 miles to Eldorado. Tornado ally. In retrospect, I would probably have a better point of view if I went back now. Just not in summer or winter.