Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burning Man - 2011

Burning Man - 2011

Going to the event for the first time this year.. and planning on taking 4x5 along with me. Anyone else here been , or plans on going this year?

jim

Re: Burning Man - 2011

Yes but you should look into the rules about photography there.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Yes but you should look into the rules about photography there.
    yea.. already have, submitted proposal, and have the media permit...

I don't have any interest in it, but my friend Karen Kuehn has been going there for years creating some very haunting images and working on a book. See. All the b&w is film with a Hassy. I don't know about the color.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Dust. Drugs. Sunburn. Good Luck!

I've been going for over a decade. can tell you more than you'd want to know.
    I still bring and shoot only with film cameras, which of course has gotten pretty darn rare out there. I don't go as Press or intend to sell my photos afterward, so I don't bother with a permit. I'm out there with my friends/camp-mates to enjoy and participate in the event, not document it. Nevertheless, there are a few photos on my website.

I can tell you that I have never bothered with LF out there. I brought a 4x5 one year; didn't take it out of the car. There's a lot of reasons why LF is a challenge on the Playa; weather, winds, dust, etc. being the obvious ones. But for me the biggest reason is how much time it would have taken *me* out of the event.

I bring a couple Mamiya 7ii's, some 35mm, Holga, etc. It's all fun.
    There are so many "straight" photos that are taken out there, I've over the years migrated toward intentional in-camera effects. e.g. infrared film, etc. Examples on my site.

Have fun whatever you do!

Put everything in baggies. Film holders, lenses, even the whole camera/case in some of those big ziplocs. When the wind and/or dust storms pick up, that sand works its way into everything.

I think it is fun to bring a cheap 35mm, holga, etc for just walking around and having fun with. That way if the sand kills it, it's no big deal.

Probably obvious, but late afternoon through sundown is best for photos. It cools off a bit and there are typically a lot of people out and about (unless you don't want many in the shot, in which case early morning would be good).

Are you in an RV? camper? tent? Dome? If you're in a tent it's best to set up a secondary shade structure over the tent so it's not a solar cooker mid-day.

Just be patient when entering the city - it usually takes a long time to get everyone in so bring a book on tape, music, etc.

You will have a great time - there are always lots of interesting structures, vehicles, sculptures, and especially people to photograph. It's really a pretty neat experience I think. I am not going this year but plan on returning. I've been a few times now.

Evan
    Last edited by argos33; 2-Aug-2011 at 00:57. Reason: photo

I agree with Brian & Evan.
    I'll add, the place is huge, a bicycle is a must! an old one is best. the playa dust is corrosive.
    You'll make even more friends if you bring plenty of alcohol.
    Don't forget your dust mask & motocross goggles!

Happy burning!
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Jenks, Oklahoma and Domazan, Gard, France

Don't forget very strong haze filters for your cameras. They don't put pots on the fire out there, they fire up the pot, creating "hazy" smoke clouds.

Tom

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

I've been a burner for near a decade also. I work (i.e., VOLUNTEER) at Playa Info. We tag cameras there, as well as knowing everything about everything, NOT. As you are already aware, it is REQUIRED to register all image making devices (iPhones) and sign the waiver. I usually work days 9-1 or 11-3 early week. Come by and say hello, and we'll make fun of (err, I mean "help") you. I'm also working the Circle of Regional Effigies SCARAB (Southern California Associate of Radically Artistic Burners) Food Truck out at THE MAN, Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday night.

My unsolicited advice: Don't bring any camera (or, in fact, anything else) you care about. If you decide to bring a good camera make certain it is sealed against the elements (DUST, and no we're really not kidding). Underwater housings are pretty much the only semi–reliable ways to protect a camera. Your film holders will accrue corrosive, impossible to clean, alkali dust. I wouldn't plan on using anything taken to BM for "serious" photography afterwards.

People do bring LF and offer services, polaroids, and such to participants on the playa, but I've never really been able to fully appreciate why. The only camera I've ever brought is an ancient 3.2 MP Pentax Optio WATERPROOF. It seems to have weathered the conditions well, but then I've never taken more than a few pics. Just not my thing while at the event.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(