Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Publication of Brett Weston biography

Re: Publication of Brett Weston biography

>>I see that the book comes with an original Brett Weston print.<<

But which print?

--Darin

From what I read in the new book. There are thousands of photographs. Some not signed but it's documented that he printed them. I'm sure that it won't be any of his greatest hits but something neat as a Brett Weston.
    Best way to find out is to contact the gallery that is promoting the sale. Maybe then you could share what they are offering. At $2500 I have to pass.

Kelly Beard

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    From what I read in the new book. There are thousands of photographs. Some not signed but it's documented that he printed them. I'm sure that it won't be any of his greatest hits but something neat as a Brett Weston.
    Best way to find out is to contact the gallery that is promoting the sale. Maybe then you could share what they are offering. At $2500 I have to pass.
    Unsigned/unmounted work would be virtually worthless, IMO. I certainly wouldn't buy any work like that. It has no future for appreciation (the $ kind).
    Kelly Beard

Don't hold me to what I think they are doing because I don't. They probably have signed prints as well. They are only selling 100 copies of the book. I'm sure they have 100 signed and mounted prints.
    But being virtually worthless if not signed. I doubt it.
    Look Yosemite sells Ansel's special edition prints. He doesn't sign them but they still have value and he doesn't even print them and they have value.
    Brett never let anyone print his work from what I'm reading. So it's safe to say that the prints that are linked to Brett and the new book coming out.
    Besides, I usually buy prints, books and what ever not for their future appreciation. I buy because they touch me in someway. I have done this since I was a kid and collected comic books. Still do. :-)
    If you buy for possible appreciations you could go broke. The market value raises and falls for many reasons. Right now, things are at a low. This maybe the best time to buy. It's a buyers market.

Quote Originally Posted by draebyllek View Post
    Unsigned/unmounted work would be virtually worthless, IMO. I certainly wouldn't buy any work like that. It has no future for appreciation (the $ kind).
    I'm sure the book with print would provide the necessary authentication and provenance to sell in the future for what it is.

Rick "noting that the Adams Special Edition prints are not a good argument: they sell for one tenth the price and they are clearly marked as being what they are" Denney

Kelly Beard

I wouldn't buy anything that I don't like and don't want to keep for a long time, but still, being able to sell if the need arose and have at least some appreciation figures into what I buy. I'm certainly not a 'day trader' when it comes to buying art. It's around for the long haul.
    Kelly Beard