Thread: Vivitar 1321 Tripod; Clean & Lube its Head

Vivitar 1321 Tripod; Clean & Lube its Head

Got an old Vivitar 1321 tripod at a garage sale yesterday. Overall, it seems to be rigid and stable enough to use with my Super Speed Graphic at the slower shutter speeds.

It's in excellent condition except for the head's movements. All adjustments tighten up with little tightening of the knobs. So I'd like to take its head apart, clean then lube the darned thing so making fine position adjustments would be easier.

How does one disassemble the head? If anyone knows, please clue me in.

Re: Vivitar 1321 Tripod; Clean & Lube its Head

If there are no visible screws take a look under the name plate, they're frequently hidden there.

John, thanks for your comment. While this tripod's nameplate's rivited to the main part of the head, I could grind off the rivet's heads, take the nameplate off and see what's inside. That is, if there is any access hole under that nameplate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
    Got an old Vivitar 1321 tripod at a garage sale...
    How does one disassemble the head? If anyone knows, please clue me in.
    Great tripod; I've had mine for 30/35 years or so and it still works beautifully.
    Never removed the head but if you look at the tilt head there are 2 screws on either side of the mount. I presume that if you remove those screws you can remove the tilt head and below that is a single screw that when removed probably will allow removal of the complete head.
    BTW, in all the years that I've had my 1321 not another person has mentioned owning one. I am sure there are many around as Vivitar must have sold hundreds of them.
    Let us know how you succeed. Howard

HI Bart: Were you able to disassemble the head on your tripod? Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tanger View Post
    Great tripod; I've had mine for 30/35 years or so and it still works beautifully.
    Never removed the head but if you look at the tilt head there are 2 screws on either side of the mount. I presume that if you remove those screws you can remove the tilt head and below that is a single screw that when removed probably will allow removal of the complete head.
    BTW, in all the years that I've had my 1321 not another person has mentioned owning one. I am sure there are many around as Vivitar must have sold hundreds of them.
    Let us know how you succeed. Howard

I have one of these tripods but the head is broken (the metal is cracked so the movements can't be locked. Is it possible to mount another (non 1321) head on to it?

It may be easier and less expensive just to replace it.

But........Remove the remnants of the head and if needed the mount for the head. Fill the column with a hardwood dowel or piece of aluminum rod, drill & tap for a 3/8-16 thread and use a 3/8-16 stud or threaded section cut off a bolt.
    That gives you a standard mounting thread.
    You could also use 1/4-20

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    It may be easier and less expensive just to replace it.

But........Remove the remnants of the head and if needed the mount for the head. Fill the column with a hardwood dowel or piece of aluminum rod, drill & tap for a 3/8-16 thread and use a 3/8-16 stud or threaded section cut off a bolt.
    That gives you a standard mounting thread.
    You could also use 1/4-20
    Need to do a bit more then that. First make sure that the end, after cutting the head off, is absolutely flat. Then fill it with as long a plug as possible and pin the plug in place in the column. Or else the weight of the head, camera and lens and the handling of your adjusting them
    could loosed the plug and you would then have everything on the ground. The plug should also be glued strongly in place as well as pinned. And that 3/8 or 1/4 screw better also be indutrially LockTighted in place as well or it is going to loosen over time.
    Over time you will probably find that just replacing the tripod would be a better investment in both time and money as well in stability and lack of vibration. It could also be lighter.

Thanks for the advice. John