Hi all. I've always been fascinated with development by inspection and although I've dabbled in it I've spent the majority of my photographic life using very precise time and temperature development practices (Ansel's Zone System) based on extensive testing. I am very curious as to how the darkroom worker who uses development by inspection handles pushing and pulling film. My process involves metering a scene and making a compensation in exposure and then a consequent compensation in development time for N-1 and N+1 exposures. If you are developing by inspection, how would you approach these kinds of situations. Sorry if its a dumb question but since I've really only ever used time and temperature development with constant compensations for N-1 and N+1, I've never had to think about it.

I know many people have different opinion on the usefulness of development by inspection but that’s not what I'm inquiring into. Please leave irrelevant opinions of the technique and other extraneous input out of the conversation. I'm just interested in clarification of how exposure is approached when developing by inspection in practice. Thanks for the help!