Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New EBay conditions

Re: New EBay conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McLevie View Post
    Well ... well ... thanks Ari

I need a friendly US contact !!

I wonder if the primary address is the shipping address ... ?

I think I'd rather pay someone to buy for me. Doesn't matter I'll get over it. Its just annoying that the issue arises. I guess its the same over here. I wouldn't think many Aussies would ship only to Australian addresses for any other reason than the fact that the shipping to anywhere else would be extortionate.

BTW, I'll certainly act as a go between for any LF guy the other way round.
    I would be happy to help you out. I will need payment in advance to my paypal for product and shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McLevie View Post
    Ebay has changed for me - an Australian. A very reliable buyer too I might add.

It used to be the case that I could still contact a seller who listed their stuff as 'US only'. Now I cant even contact them. I think the new policy is that when a seller says, 'US only' it also means you have to be in the US to be able to contact them.

What this means is I can't "encourage" someone who is a bit frail on the issue of overseas buyers.

What it also means is that the product will sell for less than it should've if left to an open market. Sometimes the difference can be more than 50% on a lot of LF gear. The decision to sell to the US only is amost invariably a financial decision. "Should I get half the money I could?"

Needless to say there are some who like it that way !! (You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink...)

Hi Steve

this is an interesting thread that you've started here but............and this has nothing to do with your post but where you live - how is Toowoomba recovering after that dreadful flood and the loss of life, please? as I spent a couple of days there on my last Aussie trip

regards

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    As a experienced ebay seller i only send only to confirmed addresses in paypal. Your idea would raise flags with ebay paypal and sellers. By the way i have bought and sold to our friends down under:-) with no problems whatsoever. There is a large list of countries i don't send to however..... My favorite question i get when selling a laptop is: I am going to school in the Philippines but my ebay address is in New Jersey. Will you send to me at my school in Philippines? LOL LOL LOL ... If you are stupid enough to believe this, paypal will not cover your lose.

http://www.mikepic.com
    You're absolutely right, it's not hard to see how this could be abused.
    I was suggesting this in order to be able to merely contact a seller.
    There are many times when I found an item listed as US sales only, but if I asked the seller to ship to Canada, it was usually answered with an enthusiastic "yes".
    After that, I reset to my shipping address, and all's right with the world.

I know that Ebay shipping module works off of your default ship to address. However, is it possible that you can go into the shipping calculator for the item and change your location to the US somewhere and then contact the seller? Usually, there is a drop down of countries in the shipping calculator that allows you to change your location to calculate shipping.

If you ship to other than what is listed as a confirmed address... it is likely a scam ... paypal will not cover your lose. Many people try to buy with someone else's credit card and change the shipping address .. << big no no on ebay. Credit cards can be confirmed by address and thats why paypal uses this confirmation to prevent fraud. You can change your ebay default address but then it would not be a "confirmed" paypal address hence no seller protection.

I like the new rule. I only sell to people in the U.S. and Canada. I get tired of getting messages from people asking if I'll sell to them in Russia or Bosnia or wherever. Why do they bother? Do they think I say no sales anywhere except the U.S. and Canada just for fun or because I like to type?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

If you ship to other than what is listed as a confirmed address... it is likely a scam ... paypal will not cover your lose. Many people try to buy with someone else's credit card and change the shipping address .. << big no no on ebay. Credit cards can be confirmed by address and thats why paypal uses this confirmation to prevent fraud. You can change your ebay default address but then it would not be a "confirmed" paypal address hence no seller protection.
    Please take note that paypal can not confirm most addresses outside the USA and so, ourselves living somewhere in the rest of the world "can only" get our address "verified" (we can't do a thing about that). (check the attached screen shot from paypal help)

The seller certainly has the option regarding who to sell and I understand that they have the rules of ebay-paypal against them, but as a buyer I can only say that IT SUCKS!

Sometimes I do find amusing some descriptions where some sellers state US only and seems that "overseas" means any other country, there are no "seas" between Canada, USA and México.
    Héctor Navarro Agraz

"I agree, Bob; but when you just gotta have Possum Sauce, where else you gonna go?"

What film do you develop in that?

Rbt

Hector Paypal does confirm addresses in other countries. i ship to England and Canada on a regular basis. Sorry Mexico not a place where i will ship. Sorry but the laws have not caught up with credit card and mail security needed for sales. Paces i will not buy or ship are: italy (really bad mail system) russia or any part there of, Philippines really bad... well i can simplify this by saying canada england and usa only....... When its your money you lose ... you learn quick

http://www.mikepic.com

Paces i will not buy or ship are: italy (really bad mail system) russia or any part there of,
    ]
    funny you say that. i just spent time in italy. my friend told me how great his PO experience was. he said no problem with the italian post. but like you i heard bad things.....so far so good though. all my italy sales have been fine (a hand full of shipments).

i ship lots to russia. express mail(for everything) with no issues. i routinely proxy buy for my russian LF buddy, all kinds of stuff and ship to him regularly with no issues.

e bay and paypal rules got me scared. so i ship express mail over seas. and priority in the USA and i insure the stuff. if something happens to it the insurance pays. if not the buyer gets it. there is signature for the express stuff so that saves you from e bay rules and shipping to the address on the paypal receipt satisfies paypal. so i am pretty much covered. only made a few insurance claims for broken or lost items....all were paid in the time frame that was allotted.

my e bay blocked list is small, but i allow people from those countries to contact me. (what the OP post was about).

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery