Thread: 4x5 holder light leaks common?

4x5 holder light leaks common?

Not sure if this is in the right forum topic but how common is it for holders to develope light leaks?

I ask because if currently using quickloads, but they can be very pricey. I love how thin and light they are but I may have to consider loading my own. The holders I have date back to the 60's and I've never used. So not sure if I should expect any problems from them.

Any suggestions/opinions?

Re: 4x5 holder light leaks common?

I have never had a light leak. But holders for 4x5 are so cheap used that it is cheaper to buy them than to spend much time repairing them. You might buy some cheap film from Freestyle and to test for light leaks if you are worried.

Test the holders with enlarging paper.
    Load the holders with said paper, close the holders, and put them outside in the sun for 20-30 minutes.
    Develop your paper to see if any light got to it.

Awesome- thanks for the suggestions.

Also, I'm not developing myself (at least not now) and will be using a lab here in Manhattan (Manhattan Color Lab on 20th. street). About the holders; do I just lug 10 or 20 holders in and drop them off at the lab? I guess I won't have a choice.

You can drop off the holders, but a better method is to use an empty film box.
    Put your exposed film in there, tape it up very well, write your name and phone number on it, and drop it off.
    Request that the box be returned to you along with the processed film.

Quote Originally Posted by Carterofmars View Post
    Awesome- thanks for the suggestions.

Also, I'm not developing myself (at least not now) and will be using a lab here in Manhattan (Manhattan Color Lab on 20th. street). About the holders; do I just lug 10 or 20 holders in and drop them off at the lab? I guess I won't have a choice.
    The labs I've used all charged extra to unload holders. Best to unload the film and put it in an empty film box. I you don't have any empty boxes PM me and I'll drop one in the mail. You could also ask the lab if they have any empty boxes.

Roger

El Pueblo de Nuestra Seńora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    You can drop off the holders, but a better method is to use an empty film box.
    Put your exposed film in there, tape it up very well, write your name and phone number on it, and drop it off.
    Request that the box be returned to you along with the processed film.
    I agree, but suggest taping as lightly as possible. I either use a rubber band or put two little pieces of tape on two sides of the box and the lab has expessed appreciation. Too much tape is a hassle for the lab and actually may increase the chances of the fumbling the box whilst trying to undo the tape.

I have never experienced light trap failure but have a number of dark slides lose the paint on the back. If the areas are small then I touch them in with a black felt tip marker. More severe cases get consigned to the bin. I am gradually replacing all my old holders with new. I have had light leaks on one of my grafmatic holders but this was cured by having the light traps replaced.

hacker extraordinaire

90% of my film holder light leaks have been at the light trap. It's actually quite common in my experience and I always try to cover the light trap area with a dark cloth as much as possible.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I'm with BetterSense here. Almost all the light leaks I have experienced have been from the light trap with the darkslide out, especially if in sunlight and if I have to wait a longer time before making the exposure. It is a common precaution to shade the light trap when the darkslide is out. The quick fix for me is simply hanging my cap over the exposed end of the filmholder. I made a nifty little black cardboard cap that fits the end of a filmholder as well. It works superbly, but my hat is usually more handy. The darkcloth is available as well, and I use that too, when I have it out and the wind cooperates. With a bit of care, you can prevent these light leaks easily.

Best,

Doremus Scudder