Thread: Info on Componon-S lenses

Info on Componon-S lenses

I recently acquired some Componon-S lenses with a colour enlarger. I've moved the Dichroic II head to my more recent chassis (found it more stable than his older chassis). I have a Nikkor 150mm 5.6 already and one of the Componon-S lenses I got was a 150mm.

This Saturday I'm going to compare the results of the two when enlarging colour 4x5 negatives. What kind of differences should I look for? I've also heard some of the componon-s's were multicoated and some weren't. How do I tell if mine is multi-coated? Are the nikkor 5.6's multicoated? This isn't my lens but this is what it looks like:

Re: Info on Componon-S lenses

I have that very lens – it’s my jewel among the several 135/150 lenses I use w/ my Omega D2v, even w/ fine “cleaning” scratches all over the glass. The one I have is not multi-coated.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I have that very lens – it’s my jewel among the several 135/150 lenses I use w/ my Omega D2v, even w/ fine “cleaning” scratches all over the glass.
    The other day I did some RA4 (4x5 negative blown up to 11x14) & compared the performance at F8 vs F11 and couldn't find much of a difference. At F8 even then the negative's grain was well defined in the print when viewed under an 8x loupe.

Saturday I'm enlarging the same negative to 16x20 for an edition and I figured I'd compare the two lenses while I'm at it since I'd have everything set up. I can say after I got the lens mounted (non standard 50mm mount) the lens looked quite luxurious with the huge elements compared to the nikkor.

Sean,

The differences between the Componon-s, the EL Nikkor and the Rodagon 150 really come down to personal taste. Keep the one that pleases your eye.

The Componon-s does have the mechanical advantage over the others with half stop click.