Thread: Proj-Tessar

Proj-Tessar

Has anyone heard of a Proj-Tessar? Could find nothing in the Vade and very little on the web. I'm assuming it's a projection lens of some sort but I have one in a Compur Zeiss Ikon shutter that came off a folder. The cells could have been added later to this shutter but they look original.This lens is 13.5cm f4.5 Thanks for any help. Geoff

Re: Proj-Tessar

I once found one mounted in a tube that fitted a projector. Tossed the projector, gave the lens to Charlie Barringer who said it was a plain vanilla Tessar. When you think about it, a projection lens has to be more or less a taking lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I once found one mounted in a tube that fitted a projector. Tossed the projector, gave the lens to Charlie Barringer who said it was a plain vanilla Tessar. When you think about it, a projection lens has to be more or less a taking lens.
    Hi Dan, Yes, I shoot with projection lenses all the time with great results. I've seen on Google that this Proj-Tessar has much shallower depth of field than the standard Tessar design but could find out no more. There are some posted examples. I have yet to take it apart to compare the cells and configuration with a standard Tessar. Thanks for the input. Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey_5995 View Post
    ... I've seen on Google that this Proj-Tessar has much shallower depth of field than the standard Tessar design but could find out no more...
    Don't pay too much attention to Google: keeping the fstop and focal length constant, all lenses have the same depth of field.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Don't pay too much attention to Google: keeping the fstop and focal length constant, all lenses have the same depth of field.
    Hmm...Yes Jason, you are correct. Well, I'll test the lens and see what results I get. Thanks, Geoff

I have an old (1930s)Zeiss Ikon 6x9 enlarger and the non removable lens is 120mm projection-tessar enlarging lens.never used it though.