Thread: Grease/Oil

Grease/Oil

I have a couple of vintage lenses that are pretty tight when I take off one or the other of the elements ... is there a preferred way to clean or lube the threads to make them a little more friendly??????

Re: Grease/Oil

Juice from jalapeno nacho rings makes brass shine like crazy. A wee bit of Lubriplate is a useful lubricant. Or K-Y (no, really!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    I have a couple of vintage lenses that are pretty tight when I take off one or the other of the elements ... is there a preferred way to clean or lube the threads to make them a little more friendly??????
    Before you lube, try getting the threads - both male and female - as clean as possible. Use some solvent and a toothpick to get to the root of the threads. I'm assuming these are brass cells in aluminium threads? Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, available up to about 90% iso.) is good; I've even used Hoppe's no.9 bore solvent. Needless to say, keep the solvent well away fron the glass! If nothing is dinged, this usually works. A TINY bit of light grease will ease things if they are still tight after cleaning.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Clean threads are important, as mentioned...

I personally use a soft toothbrush and 'trewax' for threads and avoid oils unless something is frozen...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I've even used Hoppe's no.9 bore solvent. Needless to say, keep the solvent well away fron the glass!
    what EvH said.

as for teh hoppes.....i used that on a lens a long time ago....now it smells like hoppe 9....i am getting tired of that smell......

OT is there another bore solvent that has a different smell?
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

"is there a preferred way to clean or lube the threads to make them a little more friendly??????"

Jim Galli's method: Chase the threads with a sharp #2 pencil, the point will clean out the muck and the graphite works well as a dry lube, no smell.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    what EvH said.

as for teh hoppes.....i used that on a lens a long time ago....now it smells like hoppe 9....i am getting tired of that smell......

OT is there another bore solvent that has a different smell?
    They all seem to have a nasty smell. The military surplus stuff in the little oval tins has a nasty carbolic/ammonia smell, but if you use ammo with corrosive primers, it's the best. There's one from Australia, Sweet's 7.62 solvent I think it's called, that also has a strong ammonia smell. Outer's, if it's still available, smells a bit like Hoppe's.

There's a cleaner/lubricant called Break Free that doesn't have much aroma, probably worth a try.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.