Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Impresions - New Single Sheet Readyload Holder

First Impresions - New Single Sheet Readyload Holder

I just posted this over in rec.photo.equipment.large-format and thought I'd post it here as well...

Well, Airborne Express was just at my front door delivering a much anticipated n ew Kodak Single Sheet Readyload Holder. Obviously, I haven't had a chance to us e it yet, but I wanted to let the world know they are available, along with my first impressions of this new product.

First thing I noticed was the box was bigger than I expected. Bigger than eithe r the old double sheet Readyload of the Fuji Quickload holder box. Upon opening the box, the reason was obvious. The new holder comes with its own nicely padded, velcro closure, cordura case. A very n ice touch.

The new holder also smacks of quality. It has a VERY solid feel to it, but is s till quite light (10 3/4 oz. compared to 10 oz. for the Double Sheet Readyload H older or 12 1/4 oz. for the Fuji Quickload holder). It has nicely rounded corner s and a much more sculpted look than the boxier Double Sheet Readyload Holder. It has a nice big red release button that has a very positive feel to it. Press ing the release button both releases the film clip and also retracts the spring loaded pressure plate. Of course, the real test will be in how well it performs with the film packets, but my first impression is that this is a very high qual ity product that Kodak put a lot of thought into. Everything about this holder exudes a professional level of quality and I can't wait to get out and use it.

I've been using the new Single Sheet Readyload Packets in a double sheet Readylo ad holder for the past several months now with 100% success rate. Obviously, Ko dak got the design of the new packets right, and based on the look and feel of t he new Single Sheet Readyload Holder, they are committed to supplying us with a quality film packet system. Kudos to Kodak!

Kerry

Really like to see someday Kodak and/or FujiFilm will introduce an 8x10 single sheet film loader and film packets. Wonder if this dream will ever come true......

Kerry, who has them in stock now ? I have been waiting for one. Don

Kerry, does the holder seem to make allowance for packet thickness at the packet insertion end? In other words, how does film positioning accuracy look?

Geoffrey, I think your fantasy is a bit greedy. It is probably better to just be very happy that we are getting this much support from Rochester for 4x5, and hope they continue to supply 8x10 TMX in *any* packaging.

I meant 8x10 TMY.

Great news, thanks.

I am always a bit weary about velcro closures near film holders/cameras etc. I have had tiny nailclipping type spots on negs and traced them back to velcro closure systems. Just open and close a velcro system over a clean white sink and see what I mean.

Looking forward to the improved Kodak film holder,

Hans B.

Kerry, does this new Kodak product accept Fuji quickloads? I thopught I remember reading this somewhere...

Remember back in 1978 sitting in a lecture given by a famous landscape photographer. He dreamed someday that Kodak Ektachrome would come in single wrapped packages. In those old days, I guess one could say his fantasy was too greedy. Now we have QuickLoad and ReadyLoad for 4x5. He might be the founding father of our modern convenience. Who knows? It doesn't hurt to have a dream, or a "greedy" fantasy, which might lead to a meaningful product in future. Hey, that sounds familiar. How many great products are originated from greedy dreams? God knows. If there is a consumer base, and the film manufacturers can make a better profit, when the business timing is right, the product will arrive. I bet my two cents on it. For now, I just enjoy my Provia-F. Cheers

I for one agree with Geoffrey, I dont mind carrying 10 or 12 4x5 holders, but 8x10? forget it!! if anything if Kodak put 8x10 in ready loads maybe more people would get into 8x10 since weight is a mayor problem in this format. So I share Geoffrey's dream....

Sal,

I don't have a depth micrometer to accurately measure the film plane in the new Readyload holder. I will sacrifice a packet to visually check the film flatness , but it won't be a substitute for an accurate measurement. Kodak claims that t he new Readyload holder is optimized for the single sheet packets. One of the r easons the new holder was delayed was that they wanted to get it right.

Hans,

The Velcro is on the outside of the case. As long as you are reasonably careful when opening the case, you should have no problem with "velcro fallout" getting into the holder or packets. If that still makes you nervous, you can always us e a one gallon ZipLoc freezer bag as a "case". That's what I've been using for years for carrying my Fuji Quickload holder in the field.

Bill,

Not sure on the Quickload support. I've got a call into Kodak with that very qu estion. Also, over the next few days, I'll sacrifice a few sheets of Fuji film to see how they work in the Kodak holder.

Kerry