Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everything from scratch advice please

Everything from scratch advice please

Am just starting large format and need advice on everything. Am looking at 10x8 or traditional whole plate 8.5x6x5. Was hoping to buy cheap off eBay but prices are high for questionable condition. So camera . Lens . Tripod . Plate holders (suitable for plates not just film). was thinking I might get all for 1000 gb pounds but maybe twice for the right stuff?

Re: Everything from scratch advice please

What's your question? If you're asking whether it's possible to buy a camera, lens, tripod and film holders for under 1,000 pounds, yes it's possible. LF photography is like most things, you can pretty much pay whatever you want, it all depends on what you want.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Recommendations for all the above

It's kinda like buying a car; there are lots of options for any given price range, and the needs and interests can be pretty polarizing and diverse.

How about you do some product research to see what's interesting to you, tell about what sort of subject matter and styles you like, etc... Then we can provide some specific advice on the suitability of a product for a use, or which of two products is better for a certain application.

Also if we were willing to travel to the US, something like Bruce Barlow's fine focus workshop might help you with the decision.

I am doing daguerrotypes was starting at looking at old cameras but am not getting very far simply because I am worried about compatible accessories lens in particular. Now considering more laterally for example there is thread about the new wilderness 10x8 but do i really want to take pot luck on an import and what else am I in for then where do I get the lens I know nothing about good large format lenses Schneider but no one really goes passed 5x4 on eBay what fits what works? Don't want to blow a load of dough on bits and pieces that don't fit together. Can you give me examples of what you own as a search base

If you're doing daguerrotypes, wouldn't an older lens be more fitting for the images?

Yes I started looking for the old makes but my main starting point is eBay and as I say the working condition doesnt seem to as important as the aesthetic and they all go for much more than I thought which is why I am thinking newer

Ebay is just ebay -- why don't you take a look at the FS section - Classifieds of this wonderful site?

One of the reasons I joined this forum nothing there yet? Do you have to wait 30 days to see ads or just place them

What are you using for dags now ? What process do you use? Where did you learn. Why not use the same or similar for that rig? Are you planning to shoot film? Where? Studio or field? Will you be carrying the set up? What do you shoot? What subjects do you like?

I can sell you a set up for 1000 pounds easy. (better to buy the tripod locally to save shipping). But we/you do not k ow what you want or need.

Eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery