Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loaded Sheet Film and Airport Carry On X-Ray Machines

Loaded Sheet Film and Airport Carry On X-Ray Machines

Avoid the whole mess and get a lead bag for your sheet film to and from your destination. My brother who lives in Tokyo brough me back 2 boxes of Fuji 5x7 Velvia (20 sheets each) in a Hakuba X-Ray safety case DX IN HIS CARRY ON BAGGAGE. Dimensions are 80mm W x 165mm L x 180mm H. It is rated safe to ISO 1600. However, on the back of the bag there is a warning "Be sure to put your films into your carry on baggage when you board a plane." "Never put films them into air cargoes for even highly resistant X-Ray protective pouches cannot avoid film exposure from the more powerful CT scanning."

Hope this helps.

In many European airports there is nothing you can say or do to get a hand inspection. However, in US, we are entitled to it. I go early in case a security person does not want to cooperate and I have to insist, or ask for a supervisor. In other parts of the world, I have found that I can carry lots of 4x5 sheet film in pockets of a jacket or vest and just walk thru the metal detector with them. Never sets it off.

As for FedEx and others x-raying, I asked FedEx when flying back from Puerto Rico and shipping my exposed 4x5 separately, in two split packages set for delivery on two different days, whether they x-ray. My answer was that they could not confirm or deny that they use x-ray as a security measure. But both shipments arrived when the were supposed to unharmed and unfogged. Whether this is the case always is completely up in the air. Buying where you are going is the best, if available. Having it snail mailed by a supplier to meet you (with enough lead time to make sure it is waiting for you) is second best but nerve-racking because you know how often they get it wrong. Shipping it yourself to your hotel or whatever is ok, but you don't know about x-rays. Visual inspection of carry-on unopened boxes works but is a royal pain when you encounter employees who don't know anything. Loaded film holders is a no-no. Not only can they get x-rayed or opened without your knowledge, but they tend to draw in dust in rarified air, or more likely when returning to ground from rarified air. Coming home is the worst because it is more precious and is also more at risk for many reasons. For this reason I sometimes process where I am and take home safe, stable negatives, but this is not always possible.

To Mr. Feldman and others, I urge you to read the articles on this site:

I carry all film (usually four boxes or so of 8 X 10) in a separate, smaller carry-on. There are probably not many traveling photogs who have not heard about the new CAT scan technology being used in some airports to screen checked in baggage, which will screw up your film. So I always carry it on, or, if needs be, do a gate-check (which has already been x-rayed as carry-on, so should get no further scanning). As for carry-on x-ray: I?ve traveled with sheet film in Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas, and have just never had a problem. The fastest stuff you?re going to get is ASA 400, and everyone I have talked to says it?s just too slow to be harmed by the regular carry-on x-ray machines. There?s enough minor hassles involved in traveling with LF, so do yourself a favor and skip the headaches of asking for unnecessary handchecks, when you know that they?ve never seen film in flat boxes before and are going to insist on opening them up: "Not film! Film not flat! Film in rolls! Dog must smell! Talk to supervisor now!" I cheerfully send $300 worth of film through an average of 7 x-rays on every trip, a lot of it in pretty dodgy places, and at this point I do it absolutely without a worry. I?ll update this, with specifics, if my experience changes!

(nathan congdon)

original text at:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~qtluong/photography/lf/travel/lftravel.htm l

I think there is confusion about the various ways to get film through airport security. Here are the ones I am aware of.

1. Checked Luggage - Relatively high powered x-ray used to search for explosives. 2. Carry-on Luggage - X-ray'ed on moving belt machine. 3. On-your Person Fixed Position Metal Detector - Checks for metal as you walk through the security checkpoint. 4. On-Your Person Hand Operated "Wand" Metal Detector - Used by security to closely check your body with the "wand" metal detector. 5. Visual Check by Security Personal - Also known as "hand check" (not hand carry). Does not involve the use of any machine. Apparently not available in most countries outside USA.

So let's be very specific about which one we are discussing and which can (or cannot) cause problems. Personally I believe that when someone tells me that an x-ray machine may harm ISO 3200 film, but not ISO 100 film, I take that to mean that it will expose all film to some degree, but they don't think you will notice it.

So far I have had no problems with getting hand inspection of loaded holders in the US. I tell the personal to hold them by the side to prevent accidental opening. They've been careful and considerate. I used to carry my film boxes on me under clothing, (all retaped) but on a recent trip where I carried eight boxes I couldn't do it, and asked for hand-inspection. No problem either to my surprise (this was on 6 different flight segments). They just use a particle detector and swipe them to look for explosives.

Marcus and others: if you send me the information, I'll be glad to post it on a LF page article.

Regarding Nathan's article, his experience is typical I believe. There was an article by Howard Bond about a trip to Europe where he measured with a densitometer the amount of exposure received by the film. After several X-ray runs, he found it to be less than 1/10 of a stop. However, "typical" is not good enough for me. Not all X-ray machines are the same. You always take a risk. I've been burned, so I am not willing to do it again if not necessary.

To answer your question about whether X-rays will damage film. Yes they will, there is no disputing this. In addition, it is an accumulative effect (i.e. the more times the film is x-rayed the more damage is done) so one trip throught the machine may not have a noticable affect, but pass it through several times in the course of a trip abroad and your film is screwed.

BTW, I just returned from a trip abroad and could not have my film hand inspected at Gatwick in London. After repeated requests to have it hand inspected they just flat refused. Yes, they do have signs posted that the x-rays will have no affect on the film, but this is pure bullshit and don't you beleieve it.

Unfortunately, both directions, we were rushed to catch our connecting flight (due to the crapy layout of the Gatwick airport) and also of course due to the poor air traffic control and poor ground traffic control at Gatwick.

My suggestion is to avoid the British airports at all costs if you value your film. If at all possible, try to get a flight which is a direct connection to your international destination from here in the U.S.

I've had no problems within the U.S. getting film hand checked, but international is another story.

Regards

SR

Beverly Hills, California

O.K., seems like Carry-on Luggage X-ray (on moving belt machine, at gate) is not as potentially harmful as I thought based on Nathan Congdon and other posts. (I had incorrectly thought that the new CAT scan type x-rays are being used here - but apparently, they are only being used for checked baggage. It is a no-brainer not to put your sheet film there).

Because of the uncertainty over whether courier companies (DHL, Fed Ex, etc.) x-ray packages sent to them for air travel (and what type of x-ray, if any they employ) shipping film via such courier is out of the question for me.

The most elegant solution, when possible, seems to be to stuff the film in a pocket and walk through the security check point. Not only is your film certain to be safe, but you get an adrenaline rush to set the tone for your upcoming travel adventures.

I highly doubt that FedEx, UPS, etc. use damaging x-rays (at least with the US). I have ordered plenty of sheet film from B&H and others that has been delivered by FedEx and there has never been a problem.