Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shen-Hao cameras

The Rookie

Re: Shen-Hao cameras

fwiw...
    Dan, my "mentor" in photography, used to shoot a Shen-Hao 4x5. He occasionally mentions regret for selling it. After my 4x5 was stolen, he suggested a Shen-Hao but also mentioned the Chamonix. I did as much research as I could and went with the Chamonix. Once he got a look at it, he seemed to prefer it to the Shen-Hao.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Just because you don't use something the Tachihara doesn't have wouldn't make it a better camera. What is it about the Tachihara that you think would make it better? The Tachihara is lighter than the HZX but you could have gotten the PTB which is even lighter than the Tachihara.
    I had my HZX a few years ago when the PTB wasn't produced. I prefer lighter cameras, and rarely use a rear swing. But I moved up to 8x10 and sold off the 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    Robert White or Ffordes in the UK both sell them
    Big thanks! will look into it.

I've had mine for 6 or 7 years. I use the 4x5 rig. Great for the price. Nice looking.

I've used a Tpyo 45A for about 8 years. Last October I bought a Shen Hao HZX and sold it within a 2 months. I didn't like the way that it handled my 300mm lens for relatively close work, and wanted to sell it while it was still in excellant condition.
    I just received my Chamonix, and although I've only used 10 sheets of film, I am glad I ordered it. It does take a little getting used to, but it is lighter, which I wanted, and the fit and finish is excellant, better IMO that the Shen Hao. I think it is a good starter camera (but then, so was my Nagaoka), I would go with the Chamonix.
    Dave

Thanks again guys.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Booshu View Post
    I had my HZX a few years ago when the PTB wasn't produced. I prefer lighter cameras, and rarely use a rear swing. But I moved up to 8x10 and sold off the 4x5.
    Thanks. I'd like something lighter than my Tech III for my next camera too, and have never to my recollection used rear swing (though I consider rear tilt essential so I wouldn't buy a camera for my main 4x5 that didn't have at least that rear movement.)

The Tach seemed from all I read possibly TOO light, what we used to call in bicycling "stupid light" meaning so light it wasn't reliable. Or, in the case of a camera, too easily damaged. I would think the same would apply to any other wooden camera in the same weight range though. I also really want the ability to use a bag bellows as I see myself using my rollfilm back more and more for color, and that means shorter lenses. (C2 so it works with pretty much all 4x5 backs.)

I had one for about a year and a half, but I thought it was too light, so I got a Tachihara 8x10 LOL. The Shen was a really good camera but as someone else said the short bellows draw got in the way sometimes, especially when I was using a 400mm tele.
    Mike

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hally View Post
    I've used a Tpyo 45A for about 8 years. Last October I bought a Shen Hao HZX and sold it within a 2 months. I didn't like the way that it handled my 300mm lens for relatively close work, and wanted to sell it while it was still in excellant condition.
    I just received my Chamonix, and although I've only used 10 sheets of film, I am glad I ordered it. It does take a little getting used to, but it is lighter, which I wanted, and the fit and finish is excellant, better IMO that the Shen Hao. I think it is a good starter camera (but then, so was my Nagaoka), I would go with the Chamonix.
    Dave
    I agree With Dave. I owned both, Shen-Hao and Chamonix. The Chamonix have, IMHO, better design, quality control, and attention to detail.

Death Before Digital matthew klos's Avatar

My girl friend owns one of the HZX 4x5 IIA, she primarily shoots interiors and architecture, i always use it for my own work which revolves around being in the studio constructing large sets, that aside the camera is amazing for its price and for the level of movements, for a folding camera. The aesthetic of the camera is gorgeous with its black walnut wood stock.

That being said, although she owns the camera and i like using it for when i need to get something done. I would not personally buy this camera. You can match the construction of the camera and the price of it. I never have felt like it was very solidly built. She bought it off badger graphics upon delivery a small pin that is inserted into the focusing nob was missing. Even when everything is locked in place the camera is still slightly wobbly, the hardware of the camera is not very solid and feels cheap.

For it's price i think this camera is great. But when you really start to inspect the camera there are some definite faults.