Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which VC filter holder approach is preferable?

Re: Which VC filter holder approach is preferable?

this forum is extremely helpful
    the advice I have received is much appreciated

I guess there is probably some moral obligation on my part to elaborate on what conclusions and decisions I finally came to

did purchase the enlarger. It is the Omega 5xL with condenser setup. Great condition and paid a reasonable amount ($140 Cdn with turret and 3 Nikkor lenses and full set of negative holders).

Although I already had a set of small below the lens VC filters which fit in the Omega "below the lens holder", since I am more used to (and think I would prefer) the larger VC filters I have purchase a 6x6 inch set for "above the lens, in the condenser housing" use. This way I can try both to see if in fact I have a preference.

thanks again for the feedback

ps my prior experience with this same enlarger and the use of the larger VC filters was at a workshop that LFF member Bob Carnie put on at Gallery 44 here in Toronto. great instructor great facilities, learned alot
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Putting a filter below the lens decidely sucks compared to above the condensors.
    Have you tried it ?

My experience is it makes no difference whatsoever and I've used both for 25+ years. I used a 5x4 enlarger with below the lens filters and a Durst for 35mm.MF with a filter drawer then later a colour head.

If anything the filters in the filter drawers faded and became patchy faster. Ilford recommend replacing either type every few years anyway.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post

My experience is it makes no difference whatsoever and I've used both for 25+ years. I used a 5x4 enlarger with below the lens filters and a Durst for 35mm.MF with a filter drawer then later a colour head.

Ian
    My experience, exactly. It makes no difference. I have also used the Durst (606) with drawer and for the past 40 years an Omega DII with filters below the lens.

Drew Wiley

I only use the best quality coated glass filters below the lens, that is, for enlargements
    (vs use as a contact printing light). Gel filter get dirty or scratched much more easily.
    Polyester or acetate filters will affect sharpness. I prefer to use a colorhead. But agreed ... for typical VC papers, especially from LF negs, it doesn't make much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I only use the best quality coated glass filters below the lens, that is, for enlargements
    (vs use as a contact printing light). Gel filter get dirty or scratched much more easily.
    Polyester or acetate filters will affect sharpness. I prefer to use a colorhead. But agreed ... for typical VC papers, especially from LF negs, it doesn't make much difference.
    I found the Ilford below the lens filter sets very robust, they are gel filters but in a holder and they never seemed to get dirty or scratched, but I always put them away after each session.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_E View Post
    I plan to do split grade printing.

A below the lens holder may be less likely to move the head during the filter swap. Other than that it is a toss-up. Cranking the Magenta and Yellow from 0 to 200 between each exposure is going to be a pain, so using the below the individual filters is probably the way to go.