Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Leak or Glare?

Light Leak or Glare?

I'm new to using an 8x10 camera and on my first two shots one of them has a really bad light leak, or what I think is a light leak. I've shot 4x5 for 10 years and have never had never seen this before. Just wanna know your opinion/tips. Bought 2 new fidelity film holders and used one of them. One of the shots came out fine and the other looked like this:

Re: Light Leak or Glare?

I would vote for a light leak.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

I agree with the likelyhood of a light leak, but it is also obvious that the sun was high above and slightly behind the subject, which means it is somewhat aimed into your lens. Did you have the lens properly shaded for this exposure? If not, this could very well be a big flare pattern, especially on an older, un-coated lens.

The film was in a vertical position. The sun nearly overhead. Did you shade the film holder while removing the dark slide and then either re-insert the slide part way or cover the opening with your dark cloth during the exposure? Even a brand new film holder might leak from strong direct sunlight into the slit. Also, if it wasn't perfectly seated, a leak can occur through the back's light trap for the same reason.

Have you also checked your bellows for problems. I once had a two part bag bellows (the old Zone VI variety that had a bag in front, directly glued to a pleated section in back) that fell apart during a shoot. The top seam began to separate due to the heat and I only caught the leak then because I was shooting tests on Polaroid.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

it's a leak in the filmholder or in the processing--you can see where the edge of the film is fogged in lower left---this would be obsured from the lens---you'd need light almost parallel to the film plane to get in there---or the film was fogged in the box---it either got fogged before it went in the holder or after---or a piece of the holder is seriously missing.

I think you're probably right Tim. I didn't cover the top of the film holder and it was an especially bright day.

Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    it's a leak in the filmholder or in the processing--you can see where the edge of the film is fogged in lower left---this would be obsured from the lens---you'd need light almost parallel to the film plane to get in there---or the film was fogged in the box---it either got fogged before it went in the holder or after---or a piece of the holder is seriously missing.
    there was another sheet in the box with it that didn't get fogged. I also loaded them and unloaded them at the same time in a light sealed closet.

Light leak during exposure would be my vote -- actually I would say that it happened as you were withdrawing or re-inserting the darkslide (probably withdrawing it.) The larger darkslide makes this a bit trickier than 4x5. If one pulls the slide slightly back towards oneself and if one's springs are not very tight, then one can pull the whole film holder backwards -- allowing light to sneak in at the top (bottom of the image) between the back and the film holder.

But definitely happened while the film was in the film holder...and enough light to sneak under the rails holding the film in the holder.

Vaughn

PS -- take care to pull the darkslide straight up -- and/or keep a hand squeezing the back onto the camera body.

Thanks for the tips Vaughn. I will do that next time i shoot.

I don't know if this is the case but I was having a somewhat similar issue with my 5x7 that I just bought. The issue ended up being that I didn't load the holder correctly in the camera back. It wasn't fitted perfectly, not flush to the bottom of the back.

My examples

Love this. If none of the above solves your problem, consider other parts of your workflow. Check this out.