Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad X5 - slow save

Hasselblad X5 - slow save

I just got a used Hasselblad X5 scanner to replace my Precision II. The scan itself is super fast (1'6'' for a 4x5"@2040dpi), but it's taking an additional 60-90 seconds for the file to finish saving the file (I assume) after the film is returned from the drum. While writing, Flexcolor is locked up as the progress bar indicates whatever's going on.

This never happened with the PII, and I think it didn't do this when I first set up the X5 last week. I'm wondering if I changed some weird setting?

I know, I know - at 2.5 minutes this is crazy fast compared to 20min scans on the PII, but I want to make sure it's not just something stupid. Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

thanks in advance!
    -Matthew

Re: Hasselblad X5 - slow save

I'm used to the Epson V700 taking up to a minute to dump a smaller file into photoshop (via Silverfast) so maybe it's just a normal write speed issue? It has to transfer the data at some point.

Ok, I'm sure it's slow now. Two days I was doing straight-in 3F scans (via the hardware button) and was able to start a new scan as soon as the carrier returned. Now I have to wait 90 seconds or so before the button-light goes off. Also, the same delay exists on super low-res scans (~72dpi / 11MB file). Weird, right?

Starting to wonder if my firewire bus is having an issue. I tried resetting the PRAM (I'm on Mac OS X 10.6.7), no dice. Help!?!

Ok, more mystery and intrigue... I just installed Flexcolor on my MacBookPro and it scans at full speed, no delay. I think the MacPro firewire controller is more and more suspect

Ok, I'm almost done talking to myself on here Turns out the problem only exists when any of my FW800 hard drives are plugged in and on (G-TECH GRAID 4TB). So, unfortunately it looks like connecting things to your MacPro's FW800 port severely limits the bandwidth on your FW400 port. Whodathunk?

Joshua Tree, California

You are too high tech for 95% of the people here. They are more interested in dunking huge pieces of film in soup and making contact prints.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

He does that too...

Well, I figured that at least here most people would know I wasn't talking about a BMW

Wish that was still the case, Michael. Btw, Ilford is delaying again on my paper delivery, so I've got a bunch of chemistry just rotting away. Of course, not that I have the time anyway...

Preston Birdwell

I'm not a MAC guy, but doesn't FW400 (1394A) use a different controller than FW800 (1394b)? If that's the case, you might check to see if you've got a conflict going on somewhere.

Just a thought.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I'm not sure. I've read some stuff online that seems to indicate they're linked. Something about how if you use both ports, the FW800 port is limited to 400 speed. Not sure if that's related to my issue or not. No idea about how to sort out conflicts. Been a long time since I messed with that on a PC - no clue how to do it on a mac.