Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Arca-Swiss Quick Release Plate with 3/8in screws?

David J. Heinrich

Long Arca-Swiss Quick Release Plate with 3/8in screws?

I gave up trying to use cheaper solutions and bought the AS Z2 head (wouldn't be necessary if Gitzo could have made the G1570M smoothly panning on all axis; it baffles me why they are so stiff).

Thus, I'm looking for a long QR plate for an 8x10 Wehman camera that has two 3/8in sockets. Does anyone here know of a long Arca-Swiss QR plate that uses 3/8in screws and allows you to vary the position? The A-S QR Long-150mm plate uses 1/4 in screws. I've also found a Fotopro 5.5" 140mm A-S compatible QR plate, but it only uses a 3/8 in center socket, with two 1/4in adjustable-position screws on either side.

I also found the 10.6 in Novoflex QPL 270 Double-Sided Arca-Style Rail and the 6.5 in Wimberley P50 Arca-Type Quick Release Plate. The Wimberley one mentions using 3/8in to 1/4in reducing bushings. So I guess this is what I'd need to make any of the above plates work with 3/8in sockets (although I'd prefer ones that can use 3/8in screws straight away, as these must be somewhat stronger and more durable).

Re: Long Arca-Swiss Quick Release Plate with 3/8in screws?

3/8" screws are available for the Novoflex QPL 270, 350 and 450 plates. You just have to ask for them. These new Novoflex plates are double Arca. They have the Arca mount on both the top and the bottom. so you don't have to attach the camera (s) with camera screws directly to the plate. You could also attach the camera to the long reail with two short plates and two quick release mounts or bases to the top of the plate and use one Arca compatible mount on the camera head to allow the entire rail and camera to slide to a desired position. Of course, doing it this way, also allows the camera to be positioned by sliding on the plate as well.

David J. Heinrich

Thank you for the information Bob. So if I understand correctly, you could buy two of these double-sided Arca Novoflex plates, one of which is permanently affixed to the field camera, the other which you attach to the Z2 head. They then interlock and you can slide them alone one-another to position the camera at its center of gravity (I presume there is a stop to prevent the plate from sliding off).

Is this as secure and rigid as directly attaching the camera & plate to the head?

Quote Originally Posted by dh003i View Post
    Thank you for the information Bob. So if I understand correctly, you could buy two of these double-sided Arca Novoflex plates, one of which is permanently affixed to the field camera, the other which you attach to the Z2 head. They then interlock and you can slide them alone one-another to position the camera at its center of gravity (I presume there is a stop to prevent the plate from sliding off).

Is this as secure and rigid as directly attaching the camera & plate to the head?
    No, you buy one of the long plates. It has the Arca profile on both the top and the bottom.

Now you have choices:

1: you use screws to attach the camera firmly to the rail. The camera can not move on the rail unless you loosen the screws.

or

You use two Novoflex Arca compatible double sided clamps. One side clamps onto the rail and the other side clamps to to an Arca compatible plate screwed into the camera. Now the entire camera can slide on the rail for positioning by loosening the clamps slightly.

or

You use two Novoflex compatible single sided Arca compatible clamps and you screw them to the long plate and then attach the camera to these clamps with Arca compatible plates. Now the camera can not slide on the long plate for positioning if the clamps are loosened.

To attach the long rail to your head you can either use an Arca compatible quick release or mount. This would allow the entire rail and camera to slide front to back for positioning.

or

You screw the long rail to the tripod head. Now the camera/rail can only adjust for positioning front to back by moving the tripod.

Remember I said the these long double profile rails are available in 3 lengths. The longest one is 450cm long (17.7"). You can also use two or more of these long rails and the Novoflex double sided Arca compatible clamps to make telescoping rails that can easily support your camera. These double sided Arca compatible clamps are made to either let you mount two rails, one above the other so they can telecope, or perpendicular to each other for X/Y axis movements. You can also use them to mount multiple cameras, either on the same side or one above the other. The individual cameras can slide to control the distance between them if double sided, Arca compatible, quick mounts are used.

Any safety stops made by one manufacturer is not compatible with the one from another. So the Novoflex safety stop on their Arca compatible plates and bases is different then the one for Giottos Arca system or Berlebach or Arca. So any safety stop probably won't work on your heads QR system with these plates.

Quote Originally Posted by dh003i View Post
    Thus, I'm looking for a long QR plate for an 8x10 Wehman camera that has two 3/8in sockets. Does anyone here know of a long Arca-Swiss QR plate that uses 3/8in screws and allows you to vary the position?
    I just used the long Arca plate with two 1/4 screws and two 3/8 to 1/8 adaptors...

and two 3/8 to 1/8 adaptors...

Just my 0,02 euro to the discussion : there exist good quality 1/4"-to-3/8" inserts made of brass, that will never stick inside your camera socket. I've got some of those in Germany and the problem of threaded inserts stuck inside an aluminum socket has been solved for me.

For historians, the Arca Swiss clamp and dovetail plates are listed in the Oschwald catalogue as of about 1965. The shape of the classical A/S dovetail did not change since.
    See this scanned copy of an Oschwald catalogue, date = the sixties, see page 25 (sorry, this is the German + French edition, pictures are self-explanatory)

http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?fil...cijhAE2UgE.pdf

But use the 3/8-16 screws. It would be far better to rip the base of the camera off than to have the screws fail ;-)

David J. Heinrich

The directions that come with the Arca-Swiss Z2 head for tightening the quick-release mechanism to hold the quick-lock plate securely are garbage. It took me quite a bit of trial and error to figure that out (initially, the female clamp parts were too loose and needed to be tightened to hold the plate securely).

Other than that, it is clearly a great head -- rock-solid. However, it seems like once you tilt the head so that it would put a DSLR in portrait mode (I realize this is unnecessary for large-format), you can't aim the camera up or down. The panning mechanism is at the base of the head, instead of below the base-plate/quick release mechanism of the head. Thus, when you put the head in portrait mode, I can't figure out a way to aim it up or down. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like you would need a to attach a panning base to the quick-release plate to be able to aim the camera up or down while in portrait mode.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    The Feisol QP-200 is 200mm (7.87") long. It has a central slot that is 120mm (4.72") in length. It comes with one 3/8" mounting screw and two 1/4" mounting screws. The mounting screws can be placed anywhere within the 120mm central mounting slot. You could add a second 3/8" mounting screw, or use one of the 1/4" screws with a 1/4" - 3/8" bushing adapter.

SunwayFoto also makes three plates specifically for large format cameras that have long central slots and come with both 1/4" and 3/8" mounting screws. The DP-508 is 50mm x 80mm and is probably best suited to 4x5 field cameras. The DP-610 is 60mm x x100mm and might work for your Wehman. The DP-813 is 80mm x 130mm and should handle any 8x10 (or larger) camera.

Kerry