Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cambo rail camera clamp

Cambo rail camera clamp

I am interested in buying a Cambo rail view camera for $299, but I am very uneducated about large format gear. It does not have a clamp for a tripod mount. Firstly, can someone link me to a good place with info on Cambo cameras and second, where I can get an inexpensive clamp. It is a square rail. Any advice or comments on the matter is greatly appreciated! I'm a novice!

Thanks
    Ian

Re: Cambo rail camera clamp

It is a 4X5, by the way.

Dave Karp

Depending on which Cambo camera you want to buy, and what comes with it, I would guess that you might be able to get a camera for that much or less that includes the clamp.

You have the right idea. A monorail would be perfect for starting out and learning camera movements.

I don't know what you are getting for $299. Does this price include a lens? You can buy an entry level Cambo/Calumet camera with tripod mount but without lens for less than $200.00 on Ebay. These cameras are light enough to use in the field as well as inside.

David, thanks for the advice!

Alan, I do not know what it is. I will link the website of the shop I found it in and maybe you could inform me about it. It has nice movements and is in very good condition but does not come with a lens. It has a recessed lensboard mounted, but I would want to buy a flat one for longer lenses.

Here is the link: http://www.jimscamerasseattle.com/ca...view-came.html

I'd be interested in what model that is if you could ID it for me.

Thanks a lot,
    Ian

I also see this camera on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Cambo-Calume...8#ht_557wt_698 which may be a better deal. Any thoughts?

Cambo/Calumet made quite a few different models of cameras over the years. The two you are looking at are both entry level models like I suggested. I'm not sure of the model designation of the first camera but I can tell from the knobs that it is an older camera than the second camera which is a Calumet 45N. The second camera would be a much better deal.

Dave Karp

Another one to consider is a Calumet 45NX. It is the same camera with a long monorail and a revolving back. I think I saw one on Ebay recently. The 45N had a shorter monorail, the older style knobs, and a back that you remove and replace to change from vertical to horizontal orientation. The 45NX has more features and is often available at the same price as the 45N.

In Europe I think these cameras have always been called a variation of Cambo SC. In the USA, once Cambo came out with more updated designs, Calumet sold these under their name.

To find out about Cambo cameras, go to www.cambo.com, click "Downloads". Click "Discontinued Products" (lower left of screen) to get Handbook SC Cameras. Back at downloads, click 4x5 large format brochure.

The one on eBay is the better buy. If you're patient you should be able to find a used 4x5 SC for under $200.

Ebay is showing a 45N, a 45NXII and an SC at comparable prices ($269-$299). Which of these would perform best doing portrait work and medium range landscapes?

Again, the direction is very much appreciated!