Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chamonix 45-N2 Nikkor 75/4.5

Re: Chamonix 45-N2 Nikkor 75/4.5

Quote Originally Posted by JC Kuba View Post
    With this type of camera design, is there any reason you can't move both the front and rear standards towards the front if you need to avoid the bottom of the camera getting into the picture with a wide angle lens?

- JC
    No as explained by Steve, once you unlock the BOTTOM wheels, you can move the back standard quite a bit forward.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Quote Originally Posted by JC Kuba View Post
    With this type of camera design, is there any reason you can't move both the front and rear standards towards the front if you need to avoid the bottom of the camera getting into the picture with a wide angle lens?

- JC
    Not really. The rear standard does not have sufficient forward travel to support minimum bellows draw at other than the rearmost front standard position. That being said, I don't know at which focal lengths the bottom plate will begin to impinge on the FOV. The traditional solution is to tilt the bed downward, tilt the rear standard back and use a combination of front rise and tilt to bring the lens board parallel to the back. Sort of messy, but effective.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrot View Post
    ...The traditional solution is to tilt the bed downward, tilt the rear standard back and use a combination of front rise and tilt to bring the lens board parallel to the back. Sort of messy, but effective...
    ...wrong again, Steve! Because the front tilt is axial rather than base, dropping the front negates the minimum draw. There are also clearance issues for some of the hardware pieces.

Anyone using a Chamonix with 60mm or shorter focal lengths who is willing to share their experience?

Steve

Steve I use a 47mm XL with the Chamonix 45-n2 and the setup is front standard in the second from back hole and the back standard all the way forward with 15mm recessed board but you can use a flat one on the 45-n1.
    This works fine for me in landscape but the base I'm sure will intrude in portrait format, this is of no concern to me as I only make prints in landscape and square format.
    J.
    JB-Creative Imagery
    Jon Butler.

I prefer it in the dark.

One of the reasons I purchased a Chamonix N1 was for the versatility. I regularly use both a 47mm and a Kodak 17” (about 430mm) with the extension board.

I was mistaken earlier when I said the 47mm would work on the the 3rd front standard hole. It in fact needs to be on the 4th hole from the front. There is no vignetting in portrait or landscape focused at infinity with the camera bed level.

For the photos I attached: I set up the camera with the 47mm, on flat board, focused at about 20ft, which isn’t much different than infinity. I adjusted the rear standards as far forward as possible and then used the front standard to bring the image in to focus in order to show the minimum amount of bellows available. I also took some shots of the maximum rise and fall with a 47mm. The maximum rise and fall definitely exceeds the image circle on the 47mm and in most circumstances can exceed the image circle of a 75mm.

This camera is just really excellent with super wide lenses.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

thank you guys!!! I just got 65mm lens and had the same problem...could not focused. This is one amazing camera!!!