Thread: Buyer Beware: Ffordes

Buyer Beware: Ffordes

Considering today I find an item I returned back on the website before receiving a refund, here are my experiences...

All items were marks as Exc or Exc+:

Hasselblad SWC - within a few months the slow speeds became sluggish. I was using it for a project and couldn't send it for repair, by which point I was outside of the 6 months and lumped it.

Pentax 67ii - initially the prism wasn't locked on properly and gave an error. Fine after that until literally on the 6 month mark I find the PC Sync isn't as reliable as it should be. Before this point I'd feared it was my flash/cable and replaced those but still dodgy.

Pentax 67 grip - arrived and is wobbly, rusty, dented, has blu-tac stuck in it.

The first two cameras one might say it was my own fault for not thoroughly checking nor taking advantage of the 6 month warranty. I'll take ownership of that.

On the third occasion I emailed and stated the issues. I was told to return the item, and if they deemed there was an error in their rating system they would refund the postage as well. Upon returning it I emailed giving a list of the past experiences and a full run-down of the item being sent back, all the faults.

My email was returned with Steve Byford stating that he thinks I should shop elsewhere. Insulted, so long as I get my money back then at least I know where I stand.

The item was returned by special delivery at my cost, and arrived last Saturday. It is now Thursday and I have yet to be refunded anything. I go online to the website and see that they have already placed the item back up for sale.

Currently this leaves me in the position of warning all those buying from Ffordes to be aware what you may be getting yourself into.

---

To take this one step away from my own personal experience, my boss purchased an Exc+ Zorki 4 with Jupiter-8 lens.

It cost almost as much as the Eastern European auctions, but since it was within the UK boss decided to go for it. It's taken him nearly 2 weeks to get the camera to work with him and show me. Immediately I check it over there is fungus on the front group, creeping in about 1/4 of the diameter. Easy to see in room light.

---

Others will respond of positive experiences I'm sure. For me, 4 out of 4 bad experiences, 1 being totally independent of myself (but having to check the item) I can't recommend anyone shop there.

Re: Buyer Beware: Ffordes

I've had both good and less good experiences with Ffordes. Probably more good than bad, and they do have a good range of stock. But the bad ones are pretty annoying:

Once bought a mamiya 645 back from them, it was faulty. Returned it and they sent another one that was in much worse cosmetic condition than the one I'd paid for, so I sent it back. They said they'd send me another in better nick, and they did, but it was the same faulty back I'd been sent initially, and it was still faulty having not been repaired or binned. I got my money back.

Recently bought a grafmatic back listed as Exc+ nick from them. It arrived and was in pretty rough nick, all 6 septums were bent in one way or another, 3 of them wouldn't even take film as the edges were crimped shut, and the darkslide often stuck on the way in or out. I got my money back, gladly before wasting any film.

I think that back a few years ago they had to be more on the game as MXV also ran a web-based second hand dealership with very keen prices and good stock levels. When MXV went bust Ffordes prices seemed to rocket and maybe their quality control and attention to detail has slipped a little, probably due to the perceived lack of competition these days. Bearing in mind most other UK dealer have either a very limited web presence/sparse used stock listed (Robert white), or maintain comedically high pricing (Mr Cad) or don't have online ordering, decent photos etc. To their credit as far as I've dealt with them Ffordes at least to answer the phone and respond to emails, which is more than can be said for some UK dealers.

They finally refunded the cost of the grip, but neither postal costs (to me, or return). They'd stated in an email they may refund the return postage if they deemed their rating was incorrect as I stated.

Since Steve Byford recommended I buy elsewhere, I guess this means I should recommend every one else to buy elsewhere as well.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Since Steve Byford recommended I buy elsewhere, I guess this means I should recommend every one else to buy elsewhere as well.
    I agree. There's a saying that should be the motto of any decent customer service team: "Take care of your customers. If you don't, someone else will."