Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cindy Sherman Print Sells For $3.9 Million At Auction, The Highest Ever For A Photogr

Cindy Sherman Print Sells For $3.9 Million At Auction, The Highest Ever For A Photogr

Whoa.

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/05...ever-photograp

Christie's had a bumper night, tallying more than $300 million in sales. While not the priciest item up for auction that day, Cindy Sherman's "Untitled #96" from 1981 passed all records for photography, and was sold for $3.89 million.

Re: Cindy Sherman Print Sells For $3.9 Million At Auction, The Highest Ever For A Pho

I always had a suspicion that photography was an easy way to easy money. Now I know it is. If I just had a better camera...

...Mike

Drew Wiley

Re: Cindy Sherman Print Sells For $3.9 Million At Auction, The Highest Ever For A Pho

Obscene. I never figured out what the appeal of her work was in the first place. Wonder what they're adding to the drinking water in that part of the world. Probably an old-style C-print anyway that will fade just as fast as these conspicuous consumption fads do.

From the looks of it, your camera is TOO good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    I always had a suspicion that photography was an easy way to easy money. Now I know it is. If I just had a better camera...

...Mike
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

I wish that, just once, the photo that sets the record would make me go "wow!" rather than "huh?".

Rick "who would like to 'get it', but never seems to" Denney

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

buyer was New York dealer Philippe Segalot, and the underbidder was Per Skarstedt, also a New York dealer.
    New York dealers. New York. We'd better ask Paul and Frank what's up.

Cindy's in her darkroom as we speak, madly cranking out a whole bunch more of these babies.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I did a quick search on the Internet to have a look at the print, and I overlooked it several times during the search because I thought it was a pop-up Google ad. Frankly, I am very skeptical about these kinds of sales. It's very hard for me to believe that a NYC condo did not change hands with it.

I don't get it. I just don't get it.

Whatever - it's not my money. Thankfully!

Drew Wiley

Just one more reason we need to set aside some of money to erect a guillotine on
    Wall Street. Where is Robspierre when we need him? While everyone else is getting their job outsourced to some sweatshop in East Balookistan, the guys writing the pink
    slips seem to have wheelbarrows of money to flagrantly waste on this kind of stuff.
    They probably don't pay taxes either.