Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigantic DIY Ultra-large Format Film Camera

Re: Gigantic DIY Ultra-large Format Film Camera

Thanks Kerry- I couldn't make the video run and got lost in the blog
    But HEY I HAVE a convertible 360 Symmar- who knew.
    Fortunately i have too many projects already.
    A lot of trouble to go to when he could get a superhiprecisiondigital and cheap prints at WalMart.
    So he's made what- six or 8 exposures?- and the improvement curve is going well.
    Bravo!
    Will this prod Jim Fitzgerald to go the next step?

Quote Originally Posted by Heespharm View Post
    Yeah his reasoning of the whole kicking out his roommate is kinda bogus.... I mean he could have put all that money into renting a space and enlarging 8x10... Instead he uses sub optimal film and many of his prints are unevenly developed... So in the end he spends thousands on a toy camera.....

I dunno I mean hats off to him, he pulled it off and it's a fantastic marvel/achievement... I would have gone a more practical route
    The reasaons behind something like this are rarely rational. The motivation varies by individual and project. Some people just like to try to overcome the technical challenges of a project of this magnitude. Others just like to do something no one else (or very few people) are doing. There are certainly easier ways to get large negatives for making large contact prints, if that was the only goal (I suspect it wasn't).

In any case, he has shown determination and has already overcome many obstacles. One would hope that someone handy enough to make a camera and film holders in this size would also be handy, determined and capable enough to overcome the remaining technical obstacles (light leaks and uneven development) to get more consistent results for his considerable efforts.

I'm compartively lazy. If I was going to be shooting ULF with x-ray film, I'd stick to 14x17. I already have the camera, some holders, lenses, film hangers, etc. And, if I didn't have these things, they are readily available from a number of sources (cameras from Canham, Lotus, Richard Ritter and Chamonix, holders from AWB, S$S and Fidelity). I still have a freezer full of conventional 14x17 film of several types (FP4+, TMAX 400, various Efke, Bergger and even some old Photo Warehouse and J&C house brands) that I may never need to resort to x-ray film, but if I ever do, it's nice to know that it's plentiful and a very affordable option in the 14x17 size.

For those who don't know, 14x17 is one of the most common sizes used for medical imaging. It's the format of choice for chest x-rays, mamography, heart and lung MRIs, etc. Therefore, there is a large variety of medical imaging and copy films available from several manufacturers in this size. It's also possible to still get things like new stainless steel developing tanks and film hangers in this size. The film can be developed in trays, tanks/hangers (including gaseous burst agitation) or print drums. IMHO, other than the physical size and weight, this makes it one of the most practical of all the ULF formats. It's also a very nice size for contact prints.

Kerry

Doesn't matter if it works or not.
    The thing is a total chick magnet. (Wanna look under my darkcloth?)
    Red bellows woulda been better.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by ArtRosen View Post
    Searching for a way to enlarge some 8″x10″ prints without going digital, photographer (and close friend) Darren Samuelson decided to forego using an enlarger and instead built a gigantic ultra-large format camera capable of taking pictures on 14″x36″ X-Ray film.
    What??

"Searching for a way to get up off the sofa and answer the doorbell without walking, I developed a miniature indoor aircraft to carry me to the door..."

Wow, I just read this thread. I had no idea that this story would be that interesting. Fortunately, my very intelligent friends did, and made sure that I documented it. The video sounds a bit confusing for those in the know, like most all of you here.

The camera idea came about, I guess, when I bought some 8x10 x-ray film on ebay. I had already read about people using it, and a radiology tech friend of mine had explained how they process it with pretty much the same chemicals that I use at home. The moment I saw a really sharp image taken with this film, I was more than willing to learn how to handle it properly to avoid all the scratching, etc. I started seeing these larger sizes, and remember when I first saw 14x36 inch film. I wondered if it would there existed any lens which could possibly cover something that size, so I did some research and came up with a few possibilities. Then I started looking into bellows material, etc. Once I had enough info, and at encouragement of a few friends, I decided to build the camera. I didn't have access to any tools other than a drill, dremel, sander, circular saw, and hand tools, so it wasn't easy making some of those metal parts. It took about 6 months of untold hours and created a big mess everywhere in my apartment, but for me, it was worth it, and I know that not everybody here would agree with that. It's not the best construction job, sure, but it does what it needs to do, and I'll continue to make it better.

I'm going to be on the road for the next 5 weeks all over the US from New Orleans, through the south, up the east coast, and back to California across the plains, so hopefully I'll get some good shots. Also, I have another tripod which supports the rear when I use the 1210mm APO Nikkor, which usually isn't an issue. I've only shot once(indoors with no supporting tripod) with the bellows fully extended and it was a frightening experience.Those still shots of the camera with the bellows fully extended were just for effect.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenjs View Post
    Wow, I just read this thread. I had no idea that this story would be that interesting....
    It is an interesting story. Keep us posted.

...Mike

Darren
    Good luck
    Thanks for the reminder of the energy I [must have?] had years ago.
    Nice job
    forget this-
    "Searching for a way to get up off the sofa and answer the doorbell without walking, I developed a miniature indoor aircraft to carry me to the door..."
    There's always wet-plate :>))

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Thanks for the post Darren and good luck with the project. Say hello to everyone for me when you get to the Crescent City.

I purchased an 8x10 camera in April and reading this post got me interested in trying 8x10 X-ray film!

Thomas

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Ed, no 14x36 in my future. My 14x17 was built mainly because I could get x-ray film in this size. Kerry is right about it being the most practical size. I can set mine up with no help at all. It takes time and I have 4 holders to use. I've got plenty of lenses that cover and need to get it out and shoot it now that I've finished building it. I even have a backpack that I can haul the thing in.I'd like to at some point get some traditional film but looking at the cost vs x-ray film that may be some time off.
    If I could find some Bergger 200 or Efke 25 in this size I'd be set.