Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Post your folds, faults and fossils

Re: Post your folds, faults and fossils

Some metamorphic rocks from the Lofoten, Northern Norway. Mountains crumbling into the sea...

Nice one stephane. Let's go there!

Eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Eddie, that is like going from Oslo to Rome!

Let’s throw some more rocks at this thread.

Here’s a granite fracture in the earth in my nearby mountains.

This abyss is so deep, there’s no sound or echo of the stream hitting the bottom.

Tachi 4x5
    Schneider 110mm/5.6
    TMax-100 (in TMax rs)
    Epson 4990/Epson Scan

I posted this photo in the "water's edge" thread, but it may as well go here too.

The geology of North West Scotland was important in the C19th history of the newly-minted discipline, which produced both vituperative debates, and lovely maps. The official story is told here:

http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/structure...gy/bgsgallery/

http://books.google.se/books?id=4zIC...PA71#v=onepage

The north side of the Coigach Peninsula where I have been concentrating my crepuscular walks in recent years is cut by at least one fault and a pair of unconformities which dance round each other in interesting ways. This photo shows the horizontally-bedded Applecross formation, a Torridonian sandstone, which at around 1000 million years old has no fossils other than single-cell life. It does however have some wonderful ripple marks and other signs of aquatic activity.

A kilometer to the west the geology jumps a couple of hundred million years, and the rocks tilt through forty degrees. The junction area makes for some challenging tripod placement. A kilometer to the east you drop into deep time and end up two-to-three billion years ago surrounded by dyke swarms on the Lewisian Gneiss bedrock.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Lovely ripple marks - and no bioturbation in sight!

Ole, one of the most vituperative debates was over the origin of 'pipe rock' twenty miles away in the Moine Thrust. That's Cambrian though, which by the standards of these rocks counts as journalism or current affairs, not history.

My only gripe with Geologists is that they will keep on bringing their students around and taking samples. Some of the rocks - the ones closest to the car parks, of course - have been sampled for paleomagnetism so many times they're starting to look like chunks of Emmentaler.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

That's not geologists, that's geology Professors.

The year i went on excursion across the North Sea, we went to Wales instead. So I didn't contribute to the emmenthalerisation - I got a chunk of blue schist from Llanfairpwllgwynngwllgogerychllandysiliogogogoch instead. Only problem is that the label is larger than the sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    That’s not geologists, that’s geology Professors.
    I understand there’s quite an interesting difference. I often read that the Geologists, the ones w/ the real field experience, look upon Plate Tectonics w/ a healthy dose of skepticism. “It just doesn’t explain everything so easily,” they confirm to each other. The Professors, on the other hand, are more likely to be seduced by the theoretical beauty of Plate Tectonics, as if it were an irresistible solution for every thing in every place. Perhaps the difference in the two attitudes is partly due to the theory’s “newness,” having been extensively tested and developed starting in the 1960’s.

Geologically recent, indeed!

Sandstone wall, Arches National Park
    Thor's Hammer, Bryce Canyon National Park