Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A real Newb question (what do I need?)

A real Newb question (what do I need?)

OK, I want to develop my own BW film, I am a digital guru, who is finding out that film looks way better

What will I need to process 4x5 film negatives? I dont want to print them just yet, I will get to that later, can someone point me to a list of instructions/materials supplies needed?

All I have in inventory so far is a darkroom timer I picked up at the thrift store for 5 bucks...

Sorry to ask such a multi level complex question!

Kevin Kolosky

Re: A real Newb question (what do I need?)

Go on Ebay and for 5 bucks invest in a used copy of Fred Picker's book called Zone VI Workshop. You will learn a lot about Exposing and developing Black and white 4 x 5 film from that Book.

Quote Originally Posted by nickademusss View Post
    OK, I want to develop my own BW film, I am a digital guru, who is finding out that film looks way better

What will I need to process 4x5 film negatives? I dont want to print them just yet, I will get to that later, can someone point me to a list of instructions/materials supplies needed?

All I have in inventory so far is a darkroom timer I picked up at the thrift store for 5 bucks...

Sorry to ask such a multi level complex question!
    Go to Ilford's website below, and look at the "Getting Started" section.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=16

If film looks better than Digital to you, then you need to work more on your digital. There's no magic bullit.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

If you're not making prints how would you know what "film" looks like? Making the negative isn't an end in itself, it's a step on the way to making a print.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Michael E. Gordon

I have a very that details continuous agitation daylight rotary developing. My developer of choice is Rollo Pyro, although you can adapt this system and developing time to your own developer/film. Best of luck!

Overworked and Underpaid Guy

For starters without a darkroom, you will need at least the below stuff for developing films. If they sounds a bit technical, you will need a bit of help from google and wiki.
    1. Changing bag (You can DIY one from some black garbage bag and rubber band, they are needed for people without a Darkroom)
    2. Some form of volume measuring equipment for liquid
    3. A full set developing tank
    4. Chemicals:
    * E-6 is for slides (You will need to read manual for timing and temperature, mostly are at 38 degree)
    * C-41 is for Negative (You will need to read manual for timing and temperature, mostly are at 38 degree)
    * B&W developer, Stop Bath and fixer for B&W films (You can refer to http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?doc=pushproc for timing and temperature of each developer)
    5. Timer, can be a Handphone.
    6. Wetting Agent, hardener bla bla bla... (Optional)

If you have any doubt on how to use them and other stuff, google and youtube for video.

Its a good video too. I had a recent customer point it out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    I have a very that details continuous agitation daylight rotary developing. My developer of choice is Rollo Pyro, although you can adapt this system and developing time to your own developer/film. Best of luck!
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

The easiest and most boring is to develop in trays. You could use a Unicolor (click on the LF Homepage on the blue banner at the top of this page for a link to Gray Wolf Phillip's article) or maybe a "daylight" tank (avoid the Yankee---avoid the Yankee--avoid the Yankee. One more time: Avoid the Yankee) You might also find some hard rubber tanks and hangers. Aside from something to develop your film in and a dark place to load, unload, and do the developing, you'll need:
    a graduate for measuring and mixing chemicals,
    a plastic to stir stick to stir with (a swizzle stick) if mixing powdered chemicals
    bottles to store your chemicals, a plastic funnel to fill your bottles,
    maybe gloves if you go the tray route, and
    clothes pins to hang up your film to dry.
    A Thermometer for taking the temps of your chemicals.
    If you are using a processor, little plastic measuring cups I find are handy (mine are Betty Crockers from Walmart)
    And of course a timer which you already have.

If you don't have a local camera store that supports darkroom-istas you can order all this stuff from someplace like Freestyle.
    Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Nicholas O. Lindan

If you want a minimalist approach all you need is fixer - S. Thiosulfate. It is sold at photo, aquarium and pool supply stores.

Developer you can make from instant coffee, baking soda and a vitamin C tablet -- Google for 'caffenol'. You can make the 'S. Carbonate' by baking the baking soda [it is, after all, baking soda and made to be baked].
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/data/caffenol.php
    Apug thread on making S. Carbonate

Stop bath is a 1:3 dillution of clear vinegar.

A drop of dish detergent and a splash of isopropyl alcohol in a quart of distilled water makes an adequate final wash so you don't get spots on the negative.

A few glass baking dishes or tupperware containers will work great as trays.