Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool to remove flange ring

I exist, therefore I am

Tool to remove flange ring

Hi
    What is the adjustable tool used to remome the flange ring called in english?
    I really need one but I don't know what to search for. In fact I don't even know what it's called in swedish.
    Any idea where I can buy one?
    Thank you in advance.

Re: Tool to remove flange ring

Spanning wrench or just a spanner. Then there are the dedicated ones that don't adjust and are made to be used with Copal and Compur 0, 1 and 3 shutter on flat boards as well as Prontor Professional shutters. Rodenstock makes one like that. The Rodenstock type is called a lens wrench. Toyo also made one but theirs did not fit 3 size shutter rings. The Rodenstock ones have the Linos name on them as they had bought the Rodenstock lens factory a few years ago. In the USA you can order them from a camera store. I don't know who sells them in Sweden.

The dedicated lens wrench is sold here in the US under either the Rodenstock or Linos name. Linos is the parent company of Rodenstock.

You can find it on the B&H photo website www.bhphotovideo.com
    Search for 'metal lens wrench' (without the quotes).

- Leigh

I exist, therefore I am

Thank's Bob and Leigh
    Will try to find an adjustable one in my price range.

Check out http://www.micro-tools.com/. They have an office in Germany for servicing Europe. I recently got the one below from their US site.

http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Spanner...-Imported.html

Be very careful of the adjustable ones. It's quite easy to damage the equipment using them.

Many of the designs do not hold the arms in place securely, allowing them to rotate or spread when torque is applied. This damages the ring and the tool.

The best solution is the style with a hex lateral rod that holds the two arms. The arms themselves are held in square sockets, so the points can not move from their set position in any direction.

There's another type in the form of a V, with a pivot at the apex, and the two arms sticking down at a right angle to the V at the ends. This type works fairly well, although you must set the position of the arms so their tips are parallel after the distance is set using a threaded shaft. It's a bit more involved to set the tool correctly, but it works well, providing good torque and control.

Micro-Tools is the largest vendor of camera repair tools and related products in the world. I've bought from them since the company was founded.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    The dedicated lens wrench is sold here in the US under either the Rodenstock or Linos name. Linos is the parent company of Rodenstock.

You can find it on the B&H photo website www.bhphotovideo.com
    Search for 'metal lens wrench' (without the quotes).

- Leigh
    Actually Qioptiq is the parent company of Linos as well as Rodenstock Precision Optical. Qioptiq bought Linos a while back. It is possible today to buy a new Rodenstock lens and the box might have a Rodenstock, a Linos or a Qioptiq label on it.

OK. Never heard of Quioptiq. Sounds Chinese.

My Rodenstock lens brochure says
    Rodenstock Photo Optics
    a brand of the LINOS Photonics GmbH & Co. KG

It's probably a few years old.

I bought my lens wrench from B&H. It says Linos, although their catalog illustration still says Rodenstock. Same wrench. Good tool.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Drew Wiley

I simply use a pair of bent-nose needle-nose pliers, having ground the tips to proper dimension with a bench grinder. Seems to work at least as well as any mail-order dedicated spanner.

Don't try to save too much money on a spanner. Te cheap ones are not very secure and are very likely to slip. The "V" shaped one is the best on the market, if it is still on the market. I often lend my lesser spanners, but I am the only one allowed to touch the good one. It is easy to set up, and stays where you set it. Lots of torque for loosening very old rings.