Thread: intensifying pyro negs

intensifying pyro negs

I have a rather thin 8x10 negative that was developed in ABC+ pyro. It prints o n grade 4 paper and I'd like to intensify it.

Does anyone have a good method for intensifying pyro negatives?

intensifying pyro negs

Gordon Hutchings says yes. One part selenium to three parts water for five minutes with occasional agitation...wash and dry. The added contrast is not dramatic...the negatives gain about a half paper grade. Might not be worth the trouble?

intensifying pyro negs

I've been developing my tri-x negs in PMK pyro and find that Gordon Hutchings 1: 3 dilution of selenium toner works very well. I'd say I gain a full grade of co ntrast, rather than just a half. Give it a try, I bet you'll like the results.

intensifying pyro negs

I use selenium to water 1:2 for 10 minutes, as per John Sexton's recommendation. I agitate 10sec/min, though after I had done this several times, I reread Sexton's piece and noted he agitates continuously. I know he uses a Jobo, so that is likely why he uses constant agitation. In any case, with lots or little agitation, it works great! About one grade more contrast with no discernable penalty--no grain build-up, no loss of sharpness, just a very nice increase in contrast.

intensifying pyro negs

I use selenium to water 1:2 for 10 minutes, as per John Sexton's recommendation. I agitate 10sec/min, though after I had done this several times, I reread Sexton's piece and noted he agitates continuously. I know he uses a Jobo, so that is likely why he uses constant agitation. In any case, with lots or little agitation, it works great! About one grade more contrast with no discernable penalty--no grain build-up, no loss of sharpness, just a very nice increase in contrast.

I use this on negatives developed in PMK and a catechol formula of my own making. It works fine with both.