Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Aircraft

Re: Aircraft

I thought that's what it was!

I ate there once as a kid and always awed at it when we drove by. I grew up in Bensalem which borders Penndel where "The Airplane" as it was known stood. Sad day when they took it down. It's been gone long enough now that it's been forgotten.

Thanks for posting the pic!

Richard M. Coda

All from Pima Air & Space Museum in Tucson, AZ, March, 2008.
    4x5 Arca Swiss, Fuji 210, TMax 100 (BW) Fuji Velvia 100 (color)
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

I flew on a Constellation once in 1956 to go for a job interview upon university graduation. It was quite an experience to use the lav and sit there with a HUGE round window watching clouds drifting by. That was around the time pressurized fuselages were experiencing "blowouts" from metal fatigue, because the aircraft industry hadn't yet developed the technology to minimize those failures. Nowadays, those failures are quite rare. But I shudder to recall the visit to the lav, because there was no seat belt on the throne to keep one from jettisoning if that window blew.

pramm

My father flew Connies in the fifties and would take me along sometimes. Things were less formal back then. My mother said that I was in the cockpit once when one of the engines needed to be shut down. Pretty common occurrence with those big radials. Apparently I ran back into the passenger area yelling "daddy broke the engine". Sadly, they are both gone so I can't verify this conclusively but I hope it's true.

I'm old enough to have flown on Connies as a passenger. As I recall, they were very noisy and shook like the dickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Zeichner View Post
    Okay, I found this on the web. More detail than I was aware of: "...the engines, props and undercarriage salvaged from NC-121K BuNo 141292. These components had been discarded when N1005C was converted to a cocktail lounge back in 1968."
    Robert, from my Dad - "Enjoyed the site with the Connie. When they mentioned getting engines from the old WV2, 141292 which was the last one in use, it was one I flew in quite a lot."

My Dad flew as flight engineer in his early days in the Navy. Most of the flights were from Argentia Newfoundland to Iceland and the Azores. I believe they looked for Russian subs. Such a small world - you post an old picture you took of a plane in the 70's and the engines came off a plane my Dad flew in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Robert, from my Dad - "Enjoyed the site with the Connie. When they mentioned getting engines from the old WV2, 141292 which was the last one in use, it was one I flew in quite a lot."

My Dad flew as flight engineer in his early days in the Navy. Most of the flights were from Argentia Newfoundland to Iceland and the Azores. I believe they looked for Russian subs. Such a small world - you post an old picture you took of a plane in the 70's and the engines came off a plane my Dad flew in the 60's.
    Quite a story. Ask your dad if the type he flew in had those strange bulges above the fuselage. I think those housed the equipment for sniffing out the subs. I seem to remember building a plastic model of one of those when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Zeichner View Post
    Ask your dad if the type he flew in had those strange bulges above the fuselage.
    Yes, they did.

pramm

I'd like you to meet my little friend.

8x10, 200mm, fp4+

In early 1959 I flew in a MATS version of the Constellation from the Oakland, Calif. area to Clark AFB in the Philippines. The seats were arranged so that the passengers faced to the rear of the aircraft. It took 48 hours to reach Clark AFB with 10 hour legs between the islands across the Pacific. We spent about 4 to 5 days at Clark then off we flew to Taiwan where I spent the next 15 months. Howard