Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Developing 4X5 Worthy

Re: Developing 4X5 Worthy

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    You would be blown away by 4x5. It seems more expensive than 35mm but you make fewer exposures. As a rule, the entire process is slower, lower volume, and more contemplative.

If you already have a 4x5 camera (and enlarger), start by developing the sheets one at a time in a 5x7 or 8x10 tray. After that the main options on a budget are:

• BTZS Tubes
    • HP Combiplan Tank
    • Jobo Tank with 2509 reels

The most expensive option is generally a Jobo 3010 tank which is beyond most beginning budgets.
    Actually you forgot F.R Tank and / or Yanke Tank for "budget", since we talking HP one here. They arent all that bad, and while taking 250ml more - allow you to do 12 and not 6 sheets at same time. Works pretty well for film that was shoot for same processing (beats standing there in darkness splashing about with single sheet and counting time, when you need to do more than 1-2 exposures).

In fact the most budgety solution is just to get some tupperware holders - takes 150-200ml to fill it up , and if you can make solution that allows for multiple processing - bobs yer uncle.. except its not fun standing there.. but its cheapest way ever.. and you can agitate film all you want

Here is a second vote for the 5x4, three reel Paterson tank being offered on Fleabay. The individual making the processors has an instructional film at www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt_Lzd3LUnQ

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post

Whatever you do, avoid the Yankee 4x5 tank. It's the Antichrist.
    I might be all alone, but I've had great results with my Yankee Agitank... I've only used it with divided developers, so I can't say how it would work with a standard developer though and maybe that's part of it. I've probably put around 50 sheets through it, and they come out nice and even every time. YMMV of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    Check out the "Slosher" post on this same forum in Darkroom Equipment. These are a good, economical way to develop up to 6 sheets of film. The room has to be dark but that is not a big deal.
    I should have mentioned that! Sloshers are a great way to get started. You need 11x14 inch trays for the solutions. Sloshers are available at Photographers Formulary and Summitek. The total cost would be about the same as a Jobo tank with reels or a BTZS tube set. All of those are easy to re-sell so you might try all three and sell what you don't want to keep.

I would say that (black and white) 4x5 is *only* worthwhile if you develop your own negatives. Having someone else do it is too expensive and removes most of the control over the process.