Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About handheld viewfinders

Re: About handheld viewfinders

I prefer the wire style, derivated from cardboard but more rigid. Here is the one sold by Ebony :

I haven't been happy with the Linhof finders, either the tan model or the newer one.
    D.C.

If the frame or cutout is the size of the film, a section of tape measure attached to it lets the photographer determine the focal length for any view. For ULF photographers, scaling the frame or cutout down to 40% and reading a centimeter scale as though it is inches may be more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominique Cesari View Post
    I prefer the wire style, derivated from cardboard but more rigid. Here is the one sold by Ebony :

Why cardboard? Why a metal frame? Make it a frame from 3mm PVC sheet and it will be much more rigid than cardboard and much lighter than a metal one.

Quote Originally Posted by hnaa View Post
    Hello all,
    so, I am considering getting some kind of hand held viewfinder, for exploring possible shots, angles, focal lengths a.s.o. I know the Linhof Universal finders are pretty popular, hence the pretty steep prices on Ebay, I guess. I was wondering what, if any, you guys use? I know I could make a cut-out thingy for no money at all, and I might (probably) do that. Some people, I'm told, use compact digital cameras, but I don't think any compact cameras have the 4:5 ratio, maybe I am mistaken, compact digitals are a complete mystery to me. Maybe I've even heard about a smartphone app, but can't remember where... The Chinese viewfinders (Gaoersi, Dayi etc) I've never heard anything good about. So, just curious....
    The "cut out thingy" was good enough for Ansel, so why go with anything else. I have used them for years. I cut them out of mat board and when one is too banged up, I just make another. They don'tadd any weight to the pack or cost anything if lost.

Make the hole 1/2 the size of your film. Put a string on it with a knot for each lens. The knot should be 1/2 the focal length of the lens from the viewer. old the knot against your nose and the view will be the same as the camera sees. If you have more than one lens, it wil also help in choosing the correct lens.

The problem with Viewfinder Pro for the iphone is that it only works with normal and longer lenses. My 3g iphone only goes to 150mm, though some of the newer ones might go a bit wider.

To get really wide lenses, you need an accessory wide converter for your phone which I haven't bothered with.

Other than that it's a great app for checking composition and location scouting. If you actually take a picture with it, it records the photo with the framelines for the lenses in your kit AND it records the coordinates where the photo was taken.

If you have an iphone already it's fun and handy to have the app. Otherwise I'd say just go with a frame and a piece of string...

I'll definately make a cut-out thingy, the idea with maybe a compact digital (or app-thingy) with a 4:5 ratio was to use it as a kind of visual journal that I could have with me all the time, or use while exploring a larger area, that I could return to at a later date and/or time, and maybe just practice using the 4:5 ratio on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    The problem with Viewfinder Pro for the iphone is that it only works with normal and longer lenses. My 3g iphone only goes to 150mm, though some of the newer ones might go a bit wider.

To get really wide lenses, you need an accessory wide converter for your phone which I haven't bothered with.

Other than that it's a great app for checking composition and location scouting. If you actually take a picture with it, it records the photo with the framelines for the lenses in your kit AND it records the coordinates where the photo was taken.

If you have an iphone already it's fun and handy to have the app. Otherwise I'd say just go with a frame and a piece of string...

The iphone 4 goes to 135mm, and probably shows 110-120 or wider in the border outside the widest frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Make the hole 1/2 the size of your film.
    Only if you are an 8x10 guy. I'm trying to imagine looking through this mask with a 32.5mm piece of string--my nose is longer than that!

Rick "who uses 65mm lenses often enough to considering making an 8x10 mask opening for use with 4x5" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    (H) old the knot against your nose and the view will be the same as the camera sees. ...
    Doing it this way you would get a wrong view.
    Hold the knot on the bone under your eye - your nose can be even 1 inch ahead of this correct point. What is more, you must hold the frame centred in front of you eye and not with a lateral shift (centred on your nose).

I suggest my three posts on this thread page
    You'll see my cheapo but very very effective variformat viewing frame. I use it for selecting every shot I make.
    Cost = £0.00 or $0.00 or €0.00.