Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: $5,000 Postcards

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: $5,000 Postcards

"The only time I've seen anything close to this is from someone like Robert Gendler, who uses a remotely controlled 20inch reflector telescope and stacks images taken from an SBOG camera."

Actually obtaining images like this with a camera and lens are fairly straight forward. See this link for an example usin g a DSLR and tripod: http://www.redbubble.com/people/ccdo...rd-dslr-camera

It's far better if your camera rides piggy-back on a tracking telescope or on its own tracking mount. Then very long exposures with pin-point stars are possible. Dark skies are a prerequisite and filters such as there can be of help: http://www.scopecity.net/astronomy_o...ebular+Filters

Thomas

Maybe he and that Fatali guy could do a celebrity deathmatch?

Preston Birdwell

There are things to like about the work of both of these guys, but their ethical standards certainly leave something to be desired.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

http://wwworigin.weather.com/outlook...atid=403#20180

This is the link to his shoot - I watched the whole show, and there were no tree shots at the top that I remember, as well as no trees.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Actually, I do not think there are any trees on the top of Mauna Kea, actually.
    I have spent some time at the very top of Kea, and can confirm there are no trees at 13,000 ft. Not much of anything living, for that matter. Maybe he actually shot it from lower altitude? I'm thinking it's a combined image, but who knows.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    But give the guy his due as a photographer - many of the photographs aren't bad at all, some would be quite good in fact if you can try to envision what they'd be like without the weird, garish colors and extreme saturation. But he's interested in selling his work, not winning awards for his art, and people like that fake saturated look...
    As long as he doesn't breed with Anne Geddes to give us our next generation of photographers...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

To be fair to him he doesn't actually say that he took the image at the top, only that he went to the top, so it doesn't really matter if there are any trees there or not.

Mr. Lik sounds like the Donald Trump of photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hughes View Post
    Mr. Lik sounds like the Donald Trump of photography...
    I won't believe that until I see a proper certificate.

Drew Wiley

Mr Trump has a perfectly valid birth certificate from the National Zoo. Where else would someone find a noisy obnoxious baboon to dress up in a tuxedo. I don't know
    much about Australian zoos, however; but generally, marsupials are even more primitive in their behavior.